Banishment

"PIPER! Get your lazy butt down here right now!" Mrs. Haggerty screams at me from the basement.

I sigh. "Coming!" I hop off my bed and walk to the door. Asher grabs my arm from where he's perched at our desk.

"You want me to come?" He asks worriedly.

I force a small smile. "I'm fine." I lean over and kiss his cheek. "I can handle myself."

His face softens and his frown turns into a grin. "I know. You're a tough kid."

This time, I smile for real. "I grew up with three older brothers. How could I not be?"

His muscles stiffen. "If she lays a hand on you, call my name and I'll be down there in a flash."

I nod. "Don't worry!" My voice softens. "But thank you."

He nods, but doesn't respond. I can see the concern in his face as I run out the door and dart down the steps, making my way toward Mrs. Haggerty's voice.

"PIPER!" She screams as I run into the kitchen.

I skid to a stop in the doorway. "Y-yes M-Mrs. H-Haggerty?"

"Stutter much, kid?" She asks, sarcastically. She jabs a shaky finger toward the dish washer. It's completely full to the brim and the sink is over flowing with dirty dishes. "It's your day to do the dishes, isn't it, Piper?" She asks, her voice raspy and hoarse.

I sigh. "Isn't it always?" I mumble, making my way over to the sink.

"What was that?!" She shouts, shoving me into the wall. My back hits the edge of the kitchen table and I crumble to the floor. Moaning, I scramble to my feet to protect myslef. "Don't ever talk back to me! You just earned yourself an hour!"

I groan. "Oh, please no." I say, looking at the ground.

"That's another hour, missy!" She says, throwing a spoon at me. I bring my hands to my face and the spoon connects with my wrist, then clangs across the kitchen floor. Where did she get that from? I ask myself. My big mouth just got me two ours in The Basement. FIlled with rats, mold, dust and spiders, punishment is banishment to The Basement. And unless someone gets in trouble at the same time as you, you're alone down there and trust me it's creepy down there. I've spent my fair share of time in The Basement. I've been banished quite a few times.

Mrs. Haggerty starts walking closer to me. I don't have any room to back up. She slaps my cheek, right on the bruise from yesterday. I cringe and bring my hand up to my face. Bracing myself for the next hit, I close my eyes, waiting for the pain. But nothing comes. I slowly open one eye, then the other and see someone slip in front of me as Mrs. Haggerty swings, her fist connecting with the person's jaw. It's Asher. His head jerks sideways, the force of the blow making him stumble into me.

"ASHER DEANGELO WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Mrs. Heggerty screams with rage.

Asher looks frightened, but he doesn't move from in front of me. He stands his ground and faces her, his face filled with anger. "Don't touch her."

"Don't you dare tell me what to do! That's an hour for you too, mister. Now do the dishes and get in The Basement!" She says, spitting at us and walking away. The second she is out of sight, Asher turns to me.

"Thanks, Ash." I whisper, throwing my arms around him. I snuggle into his chest and he rubs my back, comforting me.

"I'm sorry." He says into my hair.

"For what?" I ask, pulling away. "You just took a hard hit for me."

He runs his hands through his blonde hair, shaking his head. "I shoulda come with you. Then you wouldn't have been hit at all."

I smile at his sweetness. "It's not your fault, Ash."

He nods. "I just wish she wouldn't hit you."

"Me too." I fold my arms. "Wouldn't that be the day."

He laughs. "Ugh, yes. The day she stops beating us up would be like a miracle dream."

I nod slowly, and walk toward him. His eye is jaw is already black and blue. I touch his bruise, running my fingers down his face. "Are you sure you're okay?"

He simply nods. "I am. But are you?" He gently touches my face, right on the big bruise covering my eye and my cheekbone. "It's looking worse." He says, nervously. "It's purple."

I chuckle. "It's fine. It'll heal." I look at the ground. "It always does."

Asher's shoulder's slump. "Hey, look at me." He says, putting his hand under my chin and forcing me to look him in the eyes. "I'll get us out of this place." A tear slips down his cheek "I promise."