You Promised!

My mouth hangs open. "But-but you're not going....are you?"

"I-I might have to." Asher mutters.

"Why?! Why can't you bring me with you, Ash? Why can't you stay?"

He shrugs slightly. "I don't know. Mrs. Haggerty said if I didn't go, she'd....she'd tell the police on us."

"But." That's all I can make out. "You can't go without me. You can't leave me here to fend for myself."

He looks at the ground but doesn't respond.

I shake my head, a tear slipping down my cheek. "I can't believe it." I whisper. "We're really being separated."

Asher reaches for me, but I slap his hand away and step back. "Don't touch me." I say quietly, my teeth clenched.

He looks up at me, his eyes filled with sadness. I can see the hurt in his face, but for once, I don't mind. I don't think I have ever been this mad at Asher. Ever. Never has he...betrayed me like this.

The look in his eyes tells me he wishes he could stay. The look of heartbreak that I know is on my face stabs his chest. I stare daggers at him, as he steps toward me.

"PJ, I-" My name sounds wrong on his lips. Bad.

I interrupt him. "Don't call me that." He stumbles back, his hands to his face, tears sliding down his cheeks. I can see the hurt and pain when I say this. I don't want to hear my special nickname come out of his mouth anymore. He doesn't deserve to say it.
"Ever." I add. And with that, I turn my back on him and walk out of the kitchen, my footsteps echoing down the quiet hallway.

*****

"Piper, can I come in?" Asher asks, popping his head into our bedroom. I notice he doesn't call me PJ.

"It's your room too, come in if you want." I say through clenched teeth. I know I'm being cold but at this moment, I don't care.

"Come on, Piper. Please let me talk to you. I'm leaving today, I wanna say goodbye." He sits on my bunk, his shoulders slumped, a suitcase at his feet. I notice his cheeks glisten in the sun, wet from crying.

I put my pencil down, close my book and turn my chair around. "Okay. Talk."

"I just need you to know that I don't want to leave you. I want to stay and protect you from Mrs. Haggerty. Or I want you to come with me. I want you in my life. But I have to leave and I just wanted you to know that I'm leaving for your own good. I'm doing this for you."

My cheeks flush with anger. "Bull crap!" I scream, jumping up from my desk. "That's bull! You're leaving because you got adopted and you're taking the chance to leave this filthy barn yard! You don't care if I'm here alone!" My heart pounds with adrenaline and my stomach twists in knots. I don't want him to leave. But he needs to know what he's doing is wrong.

"Piper, I-" He starts.

I cut him off, mid-sentence. "I don't want to hear it." I say, lowering my voice. I shake my head. "I really don't want to hear your lame excuses."

He gets up, his face filled with hurt. "I understand." He stayed calm through my whole tantrum. I just stand there, glaring at him. He leans down to kiss my cheek, but I turn away and put my hand on his chest.

"Don't." I whisper, tears pouring down my face. "Just go."

He looks shocked. He never would've thought I would've rejected him like that. But I can't even look at him right now. But instead of leaving, he starts to raise his voice. "Fine! I'm glad to be done with this place! I'm glad to be away from that old hag!"

"And I don't want you here! I can't wait for you to be gone! Maybe I'll actually stop getting in trouble!" I shoot back at him.

He sniffs. "Good. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two about keeping your mouth shut." He starts to walk away, but I stop him.

"YOU PROMISED! YOU SAID YOU'D NEVER LEAVE ME HERE! YOU SAID YOU'D GET US OUT OF THIS PLACE!" I lower my voice, to a soft yell. "You promised."

And then he does something I totally don't expect. He drops his bags, walks over to me and takes my face in his hands. Before I can stop him, he slams his lips onto mine. Surprised, I stiffen and don't kiss back. His lips feel good on mine, gentle, yet rough, and a feeling of longing passes through me. But when he pulls away, all I do is point at the door. "Please. Just get out. I don't wanna see your disgraceful face anymore."

He nods and turns away, but stops in the doorway. He doesn't turn around, but he speaks, his words going into the hallway, but shooting back at me.

"I love you PJ. Always have. Always will." And then he's gone, my nickname lingering in the air.