The Wrath of The Hag

Don't come near me!" I shout, sobbing.

"Get over here, you little brat!" Mrs. Haggerty yells, her words slurred.

"No! Get away from me!" I cower against the far wall as she walks closer to me, stumbling across the bedroom.

"Don't. Talk. Back. To. Me." She gets out, in between breaths.

I stand there, frozen like a frightened chicken on egg-collecting day. I don't have anyone to call for. I don't have anyone to help me. No one is here to make things better or protect me from her wrath. I'm on my own. Left to fend for myself. All because Asher left.

Mrs. Haggerty raises her hand and slaps my cheek. My hands instinctively go to my face to block the next blow and her fist connects with my wrists.
She continues to beat me, until I slump to the floor. She gives me one, hard kick in the ribs. I cough and hold my side. Why do I let her do this to me? Oh right. Her husband's a police man and he'd have me arrested.

"Stop!" I yell. "Just stop." I start to sob and my tears wet my shirt. "Banish me. Jut don't hurt me anymore. Please." I beg, gasping for air.

She laughs. "Yea, okay." She brings her foot back again, but this time it doesn't hit me. Instead, a body flies through the air and smacks into hers, sending her soaring into the wall opposite me.

Before I can look up, a blondie reaches down and pulls me to my feet. I'm too dizzy to focus on the person, but when they press their lips to mine, kissing me passionately, I know exactly who it is. Not stopping to think what Asher's doing here, I do something that scares me more than Mrs. Haggerty. Ignoring the agonizing pain shooting through my bones, I move my lips in sync with his, kissing him back.

Pulling away, Asher smiles at me. "Hi."

I frown, realizing I should still be mad at him. "Hi." I cross my arms over my chest. "What are you doing here?"

He smirks. "Nice to see you, too."

"I saw you two days ago. But seriously, why are you here?"

"Well, I told my foster family that there was this girl back home. And she was really special to me." At this, he blushes and looks at his feet, shuffling from foot to foot. "And they agreed to trade me for you. You leave tomorrow, first thing in the morning."

Stunned, I slowly shake my head. "Wait, what?" My body stiffens as everything pieces together. "No. I blew up at you because you left me here. Now you think I'm gonna leave you here? There's no freaking way I'm leaving to go have a great life without you. Nope. Not happening. I can't-"

"PJ." Asher whispers.

I look up at him. "What?"

"I'll be fine. I'm gonna go live with my aunt. I only have to be here one more day than you do. Aunt Debbie lives in Nevada. I'll only be one state over. You go live with the Griffos. They're great and you'll love Jack. Have fun. I'll try to come to see you every weekend."

My frown turns into a full on grin. "Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!" I scream, throwing my arms around his neck. My voice softens. "I'm really sorry that I got so mad. I just couldn't stand to lose you. You're the only thing I have left."

I feel his whisper in my hair. "I'd never just leave you here. I tried to tell you. I tried to explain that I was gonna get you out of here, but you wouldn't let me. Next time, just let me talk. Trust me. I won't leave you. Ever. Especially not here."

I pull away from the hug to look him in the eye. "You said something before you left and I barely heard it, but I did. And I've been thinking about it."

His face flushes red and his eyes dart to the floor, then the ceiling.

My mouth twitches and then pulls into a grin. "And I think I finally have an educated response." I pause, standing on my tip toes to whisper in his ear.
"I-" And then Asher screams in agony and falls to the floor.

______________________________________________________

A/N-you guys are probably so mad right now😡 you like that cliff hanger, eh?😏
Don't worry. More to come.