Chapter 7 - Bill's Birthday Present

Dear Eric,

thank you for sending me a birthday present a week earlier – it was a nice surprise as always! Of course, Fred, George, and I already ate all the candy you sent me but that scarf is stunning and will come in handy as it's currently snowing outside.

Your present got me all excited about my birthday. I know Fred and George are planning something because they are constantly giggling and whispering when they think I'm not paying attention. I will officially be an adult in the Muggle world. I am not sure what to do with that information but I can't wait either way!

I admire you for having faith that our mother will stop pushing me to be more like you. You asked if she had a change of heart yet about the shop and the answer is no. She doesn't want to hear about it and when I mentioned it when I was home for Christmas, her face got all screwed up and green as if she was going to vomit.

I appreciate that you are trying to persuade her to give me a chance but since I have given up hope a long time ago, you don't have to waste energy on it either.

Oh, and speaking about the shop! Fred and George think we might have finally found the right place! It's in Diagon Alley, which is perfect if I say so myself because Diagon Alley doesn't have a joke shop yet and I reckon that will be great for business.

I haven't seen it yet. Fred and George went there during Christmas break. They said that it would need quite a lot of work but they think it's going to pay off! We are going to go and talk to the owner during Easter break to arrange matters further. We don't want to get too excited – we still have to graduate and pass our N.E.W.T.s. Mum would have my head if I don't finish school, can you imagine!

I would like you to know that I am still keeping our family legacy of Filch pranking alive! As I told you before, he is the perfect test subject for our products and since we perfected the Screaming Yo-yo over the summer, the twins and I couldn't resist throwing one into his office while he was asleep. I wish you could be there when he started screaming. He ran to the hallway and said to me that I was just like my brother – disobedient and good for nothing.

I think that might just have been the sweetest thing Mr. Filch has ever said to me! Can you believe he remembers you?

However, I wish I could say that Mr. Filch is our biggest concern these days. That Umbridge woman has completely lost her mind. DADA has never been so boring and we keep getting detention! But we have it easy, you should have seen what she's done to Harry! She's mental that one. Hermione told me that she made him write lines because he is lying that You-Know-Who is back.

Who would ever lie about something like that? The Ministry is losing it and I am glad that you are in the USA and not here to witness this nonsense.

Ms. Pink Lady Toad keeps creating rules that just don't make any sense. We can barely whisper in the hallways now. A couple was snogging on a bench on the second floor the other day and she not only pulled them apart but gave them a month's worth of detention. A MONTH!

Anyway, there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. There's a reason I asked you to send me that advanced spellbook you used for your Auror training. Harry is recruiting people to start some sort of a defense class. Godric knows that Umbridge isn't going to teach us anything and he is taking matters into his own hands!

Hermione made us these coins to know when our next meeting is. Fred and George can't wait and we all know it's going to be better than any class.

I have to go now, I have DADA in 15 minutes and I have to send this letter to you before I go in case I die of boredom in that class.

Thank you again for the birthday present and for supporting me in what I want to do with my life – it means the world to me.