Chapter 10

Hello, my readers, it has been a while!

I do wish to apologize. I have been going through a lot at home and needed to take a mental health break to be in a better headspace.

Not only that, but I have been dealing with horrible pain in my left wrist when applying pressure and will probably need to get checked soon. 

I am not sure how frequently I will be posting, but I do wish to thank everyone for commenting and liking my stories; it means the world knows that so many love my books.

I know I say that so many times, but it is the truth am I am just awe-struck and so appreciative of you all!

I also wanted to say happy Pride to all of those who are in and out of the closet. For those in the closet like myself, just know that you are still valid in every shape and form. 

Okay, enough with my sob stories back to the story you are waiting for.

***

 "I have heard around that you are quite skilled in the dark arts," he said, looming over the table dauntingly.

It was as if he knew something I didn't, giving him an unspoken edge. We had just met, and I already wanted to forget who he was.

He was speaking to openly about such topics. If any other person with the wrong ear and a need for some Sickle for a pint, they will sell me out.

"Snake got your tongue," he said in an eerie, charming way.

His dark brown eyes swayed back in forth like how a predator looks before he pounces.

"Be careful with thisss one," Alina hummed softly, making sure our guest would not hear. Her scales press against the nape of my neck, burrowing inside my hair. She was going to remain silent but ready to bite if necessary.

I sit upright on the chair, pushing away from the table. "Are you a potential client, sir?"

My preferable vision looks towards the door.

He chuckled slightly. To any other person, they might have been charmed, maybe even flustered. This man was attractive by all means, but he had an aura that was laced with poison. The smallest but deadliest kind. No, not like poison. Like snake venom. Hitting its opponent to consume them entirely. My survival skills.

He looked off to the side, playing off on his charm. "More like recruiting for potential assets. You were recommended to me by a Mister Avery."

Though my body remained unmoving, my mind was running crazy.

Had my uncle recommended me to this guy?

My family had an interesting business on the side in order to cultivate me into the cold-blooded killer I have become—a child who was groomed to sleep and breathe death.

The Avery's would lend me to any wealthy person with pockets full of galleons to "assist" them into an infestation they had.

Whether it be men, women, or children, the job had to get done. It was a horrible thing, but it was my life or theirs, and I selfishly chose my own.

"You have spoken to my employer about fixing your garden. Then you must know my unique set of skills with magical plants," I said calmly.

His eye furrowed, but he seemed to indulge in my analogy. He remained unmoved, "I have been detailed immensely about your interesting methods. It does beg to question are they true."