Chapter 0.12

Asriels POV

The year went by fast for me, but I learned healing magic and techniques. My mentor even set me up with a spot in a magic academy as a favor from one of her friends. It's located between the main four kingdoms. Freya, Tara, Farina the beast kingdom, and Elvira the elf kingdom.

Darius also hatched during the year! He's really cool and cute! Most of all, he's super fluffy! He's mostly black and grey, but he also has brown and red markings with brown eyes. His wings are feathered and he has three tails

All my friends are apparently going to the academy too. I managed to contact them with birds that my mentor has. Now it's time to head to the dorms of the school. Summer is almost over after all.

Right now, I'm already on my way there. I had received a blue cloak as a parting gift from my mentor. It matched my eyes quite well.

I'm going to be meeting up with Dimitri and his sister on the way. In fact, I just arrived! "Dimitri! Harmony! I'm here! Let's go!" I said as I saw them look up from their books that they were reading.

Right now, Dimitri is 12, I'm 11, and Harmony is 7. Harmony is a prodigy! She's joining the academy with us! Of course, we're not taking the high-school courses yet. We're taking junior-high classes.

"What are you thinking about?" Asked Harmony. "I wish we could be in the high-school courses instead!" I cried. I don't want the easy stuff.

They just laughed at my misery and Dimitri gave me a hug. 'He's warm' I thought as he let go. "It'll be fine. Besides, we're too young to be that far ahead," he said. I pouted before we continued on our way.

When we were assigned our dorms, they were both disappointed. Dimitri had to share a room with people he didn't know, Harmony had to share a room with people she didn't know, and I had to share a room with two people. Valen and Maxton! Valen's one of my first friends and Maxton is the one who sold my weapons back to me!

"Asriel, do you think they're going to let us be roommates if we ask?" Asked Dimitri. "They're quite strict about room placement brother," said Harmony as she laughed at his depressed look.

"We'll at least have classes together, so that's a bonus!" I said to cheer him up. "Yeah! I forgot about that!" Said Harmony.

"Students, please refrain from blocking the halls," said... General Rayden?! "General?" I said as I faced him. "Hmm? Ah, you're that kid from that one time!" He said before looking very confused.

"Where did you go after escaping? What are you doing here? What's with the paw print? " He asked. Before I could answer, I heard a voice. "What are you doing here dad?" Asked a boy. "Ah, Xavier. I was coming to drop off your sister and chat with instructor Freed, but I ran into a acquaintance from my raid on the auction house many years ago," he explained.

Xavier looked at me for a moment before his eyes widened. "You also have one! And a very strong one too!" He exclaimed. All of us looked at him confused.

"Fauther, I thought you studied familiars. The more visible the mark, the higher the ranking. Mines on my hand, so it's very high ranked, but his is on his face!" He exclaimed. Darius, who was sleeping in my bag, popped his head out to see what all the commotion was.

"Eh? It's a wolf mana beast?" He asked. "I'll leave you guys to it, I have to get to that meeting," said the general who clearly didn't want to be involved with any rants.

"Darius isn't just a wolf mana beast, he's fluffy and has wings!" Exclaimed Harmony. "We can all discuss how cute Darius is later, my arms hurt from carrying these bags. Let's head to the dorms then meet up," said Dimitri.

"I'll go get my familiar. Where will we meet," asked the boy. "Courtyard," I said as I hugged a fluffy Darius and gave him some dried meat from my storage, getting my hand nipped at from time to time. By now, there was definitely a crowd, so it took a while to get out of the hall. Once I reached my room, I found I was the first there. I put my bags down and claimed the bed in the middle. Darius seemed quite happy with himself as he had stolen a pillow from it and was attacking it. Using wind magic, I lifted him into the air, making him drop the pillow.

"That's not a toy. Here," I said as I pulled out a stuffed animal from my bag. His face brightened as I set him down and handed him it. He had already learned how to go in and out of my space, so he could practically teleport to me without me calling him. He also had free reign over food and water in there. I picked him up with his toy before using magic to arrive at the courtyard. They weren't here yet. I set Darius and his toy down, letting him run around nearby with it. Then I saw him. "Shane!" I said happily as the lion boy charged over and nearly knocked me off the bench. "Asriel! Why didn't you come back?! We were so worried until we got your letter!" He said, still hugging me.

"I'm sorry, but I didn't want them to come after you again," I said. Chelsea was standing on my other side, but she didn't seem hostile like usual. "You okay?" She asked while looking away. I smiled and was about to talk when I heard running. It was the boy from earlier.

"I NEVER GOT YOUR NAME! I'M XAVIER," he said as he was running with a creature in his arms that looked quite annoyed. Shane glared at him as his ears flicked at the loud noise and let go. Once he arrived, I introduced myself and the other two. "This is Athena, my dragon," he said, not even out of breath. Athena nodded before jumping out of his arms. Darius ran over with his toy happily and set it down in front of her.

With no response, he nudged it to her with a goofy look. "Darius, she's not allowed to keep it, so don't give it away. Only playing," I said with a smile at the innocent floofy boy. "I'll go put you bags away my prince," said Chelsea, letting us three have some time to talk.

We ended up talking about all different kinds of animals with Shane as the expert and me and Xavier as tamers. After awhile, Dimitri arrived as well. I think this might just be the happiest I've been in a while. When Harmony arrived much later, she brought along a friend. "Oh, hey Valerie," I said. Noticing the people around us, she greeted them respectfully.

"Asriel, thank you for saving me back then," she said. "Ah, the rat king? You don't have to thank me. We were a party after all. Thanks to that, I even learned how to use my magic," I said, peeking at Athena and Darius playing tug of war. I enhanced the durability of it real quick to prove my point.

"Oh? What affinity do you have?" Asked Shane. "It's either no affinity or an affinity for magic. They were all equal," I explained. Our group spent the rest of the day hanging out together. Valerie, to thank me again for saving her, payed for our dinner.

"I'll likely be here or in the library for the next few days if you guys want to find me, but for now I need to get Darius some sleep," I said, gesturing to Darius who was nodding in and out of sleep. We parted ways and I went back to my dorm. Forgetting that I have roommates, I walk right in and tuck Darius into my bed before being hugged.

I jumped, but kept quiet for the sleepy pup. I turned around to find my white haired friend. "Valen?" I whispered. He nodded with a grin.