Dinner Done

Being in such a small space with someone, whilst the rest of the world whizzed by, made Rachel realise that cars could produce a certain sense of intimacy.

And even though the interior of Adam Maxwell's car was considerably big, Rachel still felt it was not spacious enough as she sat in the passenger seat next to him.

Her earlier bravado had deserted her, as she stared out the window in front of her at the passing streets and people, trying not to think too hard that the man sitting next to her was almost a stranger. She had absolutely nothing in common with him, which give her no reason to trust him.

He could take her anywhere, do anything to her.

She was trying not to let her mind overrun with these alarming thoughts. But all her past experiences with men had unfortunately been bad, So she had no reason to trust them.

She just didn't like being alone with them either, especially with the that feeling they were in control. And at the moment Adam Maxwell had all the control, making her feel suddenly very vulnerable

"Are you alright Miss Crosby?" he suddenly asked, eyeing her through the rear view mirror, as if sensing her unease.

"You are very quiet, which surprises me, considering you had plenty to say to me yesterday."

Rachel realised he was trying to goad her into a reaction of some sort, but she didn't respond

It made him take his eyes of the road in front of him, so he could briefly glance at her, noticing the way she was sitting up straight, looking out the windscreen in front of her with great concentration.

His brows furrowed slightly,

"You can relax you know, I don't bite," he then assured her, his tone softening, "And I promise you, I will be on my best behaviour tonight. I have no intention of further tarnishing the already bad opinion, you have of me," he added, shooting her a small meaningful smile

Rachel was glad that the car was in virtual darkness, so he couldn't really see her face heat up, bringing a flush to her cheeks. She wondered how he was able to read her mind so easily, but suddenly she felt a little foolish for letting her imagination once again run away with her

Some of the tension left her body, "I am sorry I am giving you that impression, I am sure you are on your best behaviour. I guess I am suddenly finding this whole thing a little overwhelming," she reluctantly found herself admitting.

"There is no need to feel overwhelmed," Adam replied easily, "After all you are getting a free meal in an expensive restaurant, and the chance to finally speak to me in person, I thought you would enjoy it"

"I don't enjoy having to put myself on show Mr. Maxwell, I would have been happy enough just speaking with you in one of your offices, but you give me little choice in the matter and more or less forced tonight on me"

"Actually it was you who forced us into this situation tonight," Adam reminded her gently as he steered the car around the roundabout with ease.

"I offered to have a meeting with you sometime through the week. You doubted I would keep my word. In fact you insisted I take action there and then to give you some sort of guarantee. So I was forced to prove you wrong, so really, you only have yourself to blame Miss. Crosby"

Much to her irritation she found herself unable to argue with him, as it had been more or less the truth.

Once more he had gotten the upper hand

But realising she could probably sit in the car fuming at him for the rest of the short journey to their destination, Adam decided to change the subject slightly to keep the conversation going.