Mixed signals? maybe

Adam was tired. His business trip had lasted longer than he had first planned. Between late meetings, and driving around from one place to another, then the late return flight; he was just looking forward to getting back home, so he could have a drink and finally unwind and relax.

As he entered the apartment the appetising smell of food wafted in the air.

It made him realise Rachel must be home He found it this pleasantly comforting in his weary frame of mind..

She then appeared out of the kitchen to greet him in the hallway.

Little wisps of her auburn hair had freed themselves from her ponytail and hung around her face as she continued to stand there with a fork in her hand, smiling uncertainly. It made him wonder if she was happy to see him, as he was to see her.

He now recalled his phone call from the day before, when he had told her he was coming home. At first he had been feeling a little guilty in case she was worried because he had stayed away longer than he first told her without even bothering contacting her, to let her know until that point.

But he discovered his concern had been wasted. She had happily informed him she had hard hardly noticed he was gone, never mind missed him. or was worried.

He wasn't sure why her answer had irked him a little. He should have been pleased she wasn't upset with him, but he hadn't expected her to be so indifferent about it either.

He guessed it had dented his ego somewhat to discover she was happy and getting along fine without him. He liked to think he had come to matter to her just a little, since they had been married.

But then even before he had gone away, he had noticed that she seem to withdraw from him, almost avoiding him if she could. He didn't know what he had said or done to merit her behaviour. Even now she seemed a little distracted.

He was beginning to wonder if was she not happy being married to him? Perhaps she was wanting out, but didn't know how to tell him. He really hoped that was not the case, not when they had come this far.

"I hope your hungry, I thought you might like something to eat when you got back, so I made us a nice casserole," she then said looking a little anxious. It did nothing to dispel the disquietening thoughts that were gathering in his head.

But still, the actual fact she had went to the trouble to make him something to eat, had to be a good sign he realised. Perhaps she had given him some consideration after all.

"That was very thoughtful of you," he smiled as he walked up to her and planted a chaste kiss on her cheek, "thank you, I haven't eaten since this afternoon, and it smells good."

He found himself having to resist the urge to add, "It almost smells as good as you," as he caught the familiar whiff of her perfume, that made him just want to suddenly gather her into his arms and carry her of to the bedroom to satisfy a completely different sort of hunger.

Instead he manage to hold onto his self control, and shrugged out of his jacket and followed her into the kitchen.

She went over to lifted two plates out of the cupboard, but couldn't help stealing a glance at him as he sat down at the table across the kitchen from her. And as she came over and she set the plate in front of him, she realised he looked a little weary and tired, as he ran a hand through his dark hair.

She guessed he was exhausted after the business trip, which didn't make her feel any better.

Rachel was still a little rattled about her earlier meeting with his stepmother, especially after what had occurred between them. She knew she would have to tell Adam, but she wasn't sure how.