When in Rome pt 2

As the week went in, Rachel soon discovered what it was about Rome that made Adam fall in love with it, and why it was one of his favourite cities. It was the architecture, old and new that fascinated him. Which was hardly surprising considering the business he was in.

But she was beginning to realise it was more than just making money to him. He really was interested in structures of all shapes and sizes, and Rome had them a-plenty. Despite her own lack of knowledge about such things, she found it an education in itself. Adam took her to many of the famous sights, including the Colossuem, The Pantheon, the Piazza Novona, and the Trevi Fountain, just to name a few

Rachel had never given much thought to ancient ruins or the style and history of buildings.

It had never been one of those things that had been on her list of priorities in life. So she felt quite ignorant about it all. But she was happy to discovered that it wasn't as she first feared. Adam was not trying impress her with his own knowledge and appear more superior than her in some way.

Instead she was surprised to find he spoke to her enthusiastically, as if he really wanted to share his passion with her. Talking to her in a manner that made her feel her thoughts and opinion mattered. He wanted her to understand, and was only too happy to answer her questions, even of they seemed stupid to her.

So she found herself listening to him with interest. Fascinated to a certain degree. about all the things she was finding out whenever he took her places and he explained some of the background about it.

Then there was the shopping.

Although he told her if there was anything she seen or liked to just let him know. She assured him she had brought enough money to do her, And as he was already footing the bill for everything else it was only fair she spend her own money on something.

For once he didn't argue with her small stand of independence. much to her relief.

But near the end of the week, he came knocking on her hotel room door. When she opened it, he stepped in, handing her two bags. One contained shoes, the other an elegant black trouser suit.

"You really shouldn't have done that," Rachel immediately remonstrated, "I keep telling you, that you have already spent more than enough on me, on this trip"

"Before you start giving me a hard time, let me explain that this comes under the expenses, of what you could call your uniform," Adam placated her

"Uniform?" she echoed, frowning in bewilderment

"Yes," Adam replied with a small smile eyeing her up and down, " As much as I adore you dressed in your jeans and tops, there are going to be occasions after we are married, when you are going to have to.. as you once put it, 'scrub up well,"

Realisation dawned in Rachel's eyes, "Oh, of course," she replied, "You think of everything don't you?" she then remarked dryly, putting down the bag, realising he was making it pointless for her to try and object that he shouldn't buying her the clothes.

She felt once again, that he was slowly, but surely taking control of her life, and she had to get used to it

"That is what I do best," he replied easily.

Rachel just shot him a small smile, not sure if she found this a comforting thought.

The week spent in Rome was turning out to be a whole new experience for Rachel, opening her eyes to a world she never knew existed.

As wonderful as it was, it was also daunting, as she realised this was the kind of life Adam Maxwell took for granted and which he was used to, whilst she wasn't sure she could ever get used to it all. It made her even more uncertain if she really was the right person to be his wife.