A wedding night to remember

Thank you for agreeing to seeing me like this Mr Maxwell I know what a busy man you are" Jean said in appreciation as she sat across the table in the small coffee shop where she had earlier arranged to meet with him over the phone.

Adam at first hearing from Jean, who had firmly but gently insisted she needed to talk with him, had been surprised and then intrigued by Jean's phone call, especially when she had made it clear that Rachel knew nothing about it and she preferred to keep it that way.

"I will admit I am more than a little curious about wanting to know what this is all about," Adam admitted, "and I am guessing it involves Rachel in some way, and that you have some concerns about our little arrangement"

"Yes well she probably wouldn't be too pleased with me sticking my oar in, that's why I would rather this stay between just the both of us Mr Maxwell, but I care a lot about Rachel, and she has been through so much already, I think you need to understand that" Jean replied

"Do call me Adam," he insisted, before continuing, "And from what Rachel has told me already, I am know she is extremely fond of you and how you have helped her, so I understand why you feel the way you do, and I want to assure you I intend to take very good care of her"

"I am glad to hear that" Jean replied, "Because despite her bravado, underneath, Rachel still has a lot of issue's especially with men, and especially after the way Gary treated her... She is still damaged goods, and this whole getting married thing to you is probably going to put some pressure on her. She insists she will be fine.. Maybe she will be, but still I worry" Jean frowned "And I just want you to understand what you are taking on with her.. You can call me an interfering old bat, and tell me to mind my own business if you like, but Rachel is the nearest thing I have to the daughter I lost, and I care about her so I don't want to see her getting hurt in anyway" she finished defensively

Adam smiled understandingly, "No I don't think you are interfering at all, and I think Rachel is very lucky to have a friend like you. I do understand your concerns for her welfare. I appreciate you coming here today to let me know how things stand," he now reached out to squeeze her hand reassuringly , "and I promise you I will give what you are saying serious consideration and take into account where Rachel is concerned, But I want you to believe me when I tell you I have no intentions of causing her further pain or hurt.. She has told me the ordeal she suffered at her ex boyfriends hands, and I found it harrowing to listen to, so believe me when I tell you I do have her best interests at heart too"

"You better have, or you will have me to deal with" Jean warned ominously

Adam realised she was deadly serious, but he decided no matter what reassurances he tried to give, that only time would satisfy Jean's concerns that his intentions towards Rachel were good, and would try to prove that to her.

********************************************

Rachel realised that Adam was not one to waste time when he was determined to get what he wanted. Which was why, almost a month later from that fateful day when she had decided to tackle him about the Women's Refuge, she found herself becoming Mrs Rachel Maxwell.

They were married in a short civil ceremony in a registrar's office, Jean and one of Adam's close business associates stood as witnesses for them

Adam's father also attended, but thankfully Lynn and the rest decided they had better things to do, and couldn't make it.

There were also a few close friends whom Rachel knew from the Refuge came along also. Intrigued that she had decided so quickly to marry Adam, but not really surprised.

He was wealthy considerably good looking They claimed if they had the chance, they would snap him up themselves.

Due to it's unusual circumstances, Rachel had wanted as little fuss as possible for the wedding. She didn't dwell to much on it, just wanting to get it over with.