Troubled thoughts and transformations

"So, tell me more about this Charity Ball you conveniently forgot to mention," Rachel demanded, propping herself up on her elbow next to Adam in the bed.

Her other hand was lightly splayed on his bare chest so she could gaze down on his face, in the semi darkness

Now they had satisfactorily fulfilled the physical need for each other, she now recalled their earlier conversation. With the main worry of what happened with his stepmother, no longer in the forefront of her mind, her thoughts turned to the reason why the woman had shown up in the first place

"Oh yes," Adam replied shifting himself a little so he could idly reach out and caress her bare arm, as he looked a little rueful,

"I should have told you about it ages ago really. I remember how you were furious with me when I gave you short notice about meeting my father for the first time. You would have thought I would have learned from then" he grinned

"Yes, but you obviously haven't," Rachel replied good humouredly, "I guess if it hadn't been for Lynn, I probably wouldn't have found out till the night before" she eyed him a little reproachfully

"I just had so much going on, it slipped my mind," Adam replied staring up at the ceiling above his head, "Or maybe I was subconsciously trying not to think about this year because of what happened with Kevin," he then realised aloud, before bringing his gaze back to Rachel's face.

"The Gilpin's Charity Ball is an annual event for our family. My father started it a year after my mother died, to raise money for cancer research, which was the horrible disease that took my mother from us at such a young age" Adam then started to explain. "Gilpin was my mothers maiden name you see, And we have this big bash in honour of her memory." he paused there, whilst his fingers continuing to absentmindedly stroke her shoulder.

"When my brother Kevin got married, my father bestowed the responsibility of the event to him and his wife.

They gladly accepted it. Both of them faithfully continued to make it a success year after year, so that there were more famous and well known names added to the guest list through time. It is all thanks to their enthusiasm that it has become so big. It is going to be really strange this year; not having them there," Adam admitted his voice sounding slightly tighter than usual..

Rachel suddenly understood why he had found it difficult to think, never mind talk about the Charity ball. But she remained silent and let him continue.

"We were in two minds about cancelling it this year. But that is not what Kevin would have wanted," Adam then said, "So we decided to go ahead with it, and have a special dedication to Kevin and his wife, it seemed fitting somehow"

"I think that's a wonderful idea," Rachel agreed

Adam shot her a brief smile, "Yes, I think so too. It is going to be quite an event, plus the fact it will be the first time I get to show you of as my wife in public," he reminded her with a small smile.

"Yes I guess it will," Rachel then realised worriedly, "I just hope I don't let you down. From what I have gathered, this is a big deal. With a lot rich, famous guests attending, I am not sure I am sophisticated enough to fit in with them" she finished half jokingly.

"I don't need you to be sophisticated," Adam replied solemnly " I just need you there to be by my side for support. Although, I don't want to force you into a situation you might feel uncomfortable in, I would really appreciate having you there all the same" he added diplomatically

Rachel's eyes narrowed suspiciously as she looked up at him, "You are doing it again, aren't you?"

"Doing what?" Adam looked mystified, his eyes widening questioningly, which make her laugh and slap him lightly on the chest with her hand.