Friends and enemies

In the large function room where the event was being held, there were several large circular tables, draped in pristine white table clothes, and shining cutlery and crystal cut glasses, that glittered under the bright lights overhead, and it was now steadily filling with people.

The food was going to be served, then the family and patrons of The Gilpins Charity trust would get on with the dedication to Kevin and his family, before the actual jollities of the Ball, with the band and dancing, which would commence late into the night.

Adam led Rachel over to one of the tables across the room, and she was glad to see the familiar friendly face of Adam's father Robert Maxwell, who greeted her with a warm smile.

"Ah Rachel, I have to say you are liking particularly lovely tonight, It's good to see you here, we have to see more of you dear, this is the first time from you and Adam married, that I have set eyes on you"

"True, I am sorry about that," Rachel apologised, "I have been very busy adjusting to my new married life" she replied which was pretty close to the truth

Robert smiled, "Say no more, I guess you and Adam still being relatively newly weds, you both have no time for anyone else but each other still," he winked

Rachel just gave a little laugh, not sure how to reply to the obvious implication, unable to meet the amused look in Adam's brown eyes, as he glanced to see her reaction before adding.

"Yes, I will admit I am finding it difficult to want to share my lovely wife with others yet, I just can't seem to get enough of her"

Rachel knew it was his way of teasing her, but it still made her face heat up.

"Why Adam, I do believe you are making the poor girl blush," Lynn drawled as she came up from behind them, overhearing Adam's comment, she smiled her tight smile, as she now eyed Adam and Rachel, "Such open declarations of feelings, so unlike you Adam, I believe Rachel surely has bewitched you.. But then I guess love does that to you?"

Rachel's grip on Adam's arm had tightened as she felt herself tense, suddenly wondering if Lynn was going to say or do something to upset Adam.

"Well you should know," Adam replied smoothly as his eyes remained steadily on his stepmothers face, his smile as false as hers, "You seem to have had the same affect on my father

"Touché" Lynn replied lightly, "Its nice to know we are all in the same boat...being in love that is," she then finished meaningfully. But then turned her attention to her husband putting her hand on his arm, "Sorry to pull you away, but Darren needs to speak with you urgently, "You will excuse us won't you?" Lynn turned her attention back to Adam and Rachel, "Only Darren does want tonight to go well, and make sure it meets with your father's approval, he knows how important it is"

"Don't let us hold you back, I know how much Darren needs my father's approval" Adam replied easily, but the jibe wasn't lost on Lynn, whose expression hardened momentarily before she led Adam's father away.

Rachel turned anxiously to Adam once they were gone, "Do you think you should goad her like that? I mean she could easily retaliate with what she knows about me," she pointed out worriedly.

"She won't say anything tonight, she won't want to make any trouble. This is a chance for Darren to shine, and let my father see what a good responsible guy he is, she won't want anything to spoil it." Adam replied confidently

"All the same, my heart was in my mouth," Rachel replied, "I am so nervous," she admitted, glancing around the room and starting to recognise some well known faces from television, as well as politicians, that made her eyes widen.