Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Harry's POV

As I pull into Alaina's driveway, I find her sitting patiently at her front porch on the bench. She's wearing a white beanie, pushing back her wavy dark hair away from her face, leggings, and her black rider boots. Her cream color winter coat is unzipped showing her V-neck t-shirt underneath. She looks up at me when she hears my car come into her driveway before giving a small smile and wave, making the muscles in my stomach immediately begin to flutter like usual whenever I see her. She's been in my life for as long as I could remember and I see her every day, but I can't help but miss seeing her beautiful face.

My feelings for her have grown over the years and it kills me that she doesn't know, except the problem is I don't have the courage to tell her. Those feelings started when I was about 8 years old. I remember admiring the little things about her, like her smile, her eyes, and the way she would do her hair every day.

But once 8th grade came around, those little things I admired turned into major feelings. Not only did I notice how beautiful she actually is, I also noticed that just being with her makes me feel the happiest. Whenever we would be at my house or hers, it always feels warm and comforting, it doesn't matter if we're sitting and talking or watching a movie, she makes me feel like home.

Then when we're not together, I feel so empty and she's all I think about. We've spent so much time together every day for almost 17 years but I still get so lonely without her and I have to find a reason to see her or else I'll go insane. Usually, people who hang out every single day end up getting tired of one another, except that is not the case when it comes to me and Alaina. We just keep getting closer than ever. Our bond is so strong that we only tell each other secrets that we never told anyone before.

The only thing she obviously doesn't know about is how much I feel for her. It's not like I don't want her to know, its just better to keep it to myself. I'm not insecure and fear she wouldn't go for me or anything. I have some girls chase after me like I'm Justin Bieber or one of the Jonas Brothers and I've been in a few relationships before, one almost got really serious, and had meaningless hookups on the side, so I don't find myself unappealing.

I play pretty well in soccer on the school's JV team and I'm considered "popular" in school because of that while also for being the "nice kid". Everybody knows that I wouldn't hurt a fly, however I still don't want to risk anything if she and I do end up getting together that way. I'm afraid I might break her heart where it could ruin the close bond that we've had for years, which I don't want.

Alaina -well, Lainey as I call her-, is very special to me and losing her because of something I've done would probably be one of my biggest regrets. Even if I didn't feel that way, I still also believe that like she doesn't like me like that so it's best to leave it to myself. She deserves to be happy and if I won't be able to give her that, I would much rather have someone else who is a lot better than me to give it to her and us continuing to be close, no matter how much it will hurt to see her with a guy that isn't me.

"Hey!" she greeted as she gets into the front seat of my car and sets her drawstring bag on the floor by her feet.

Right away I smell her sweet perfume that I love so much and I couldn't help but smile a little bit. I don't know what it's actually called but I know it smells like vanilla or toasted marshmallow and I can't get enough of it. She makes everything feel warm and comforting. Alaina notices that I'm staring, giving me a look.

"You're happy this afternoon," she teased.

"I am! Because I'm surprised that you're up and ready at noon on a Sunday," I bantered, trying to hide the fact that I'm actually admiring how beautiful she is.