Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Harry's POV

"What is it?" I questioned.

Alaina sighs and comes over to sit next to me on the bed. Her eyes are red and glassy as she looks down at her lap, trying to think of the words to tell me whatever she needs to tell me. I'm honestly scared to know how she truly got those bruises. They don't look like they came from an accidental fall or bump. They look like they were put there intentionally and it's honestly making me feel sick to my stomach.

"Harry. I've been hiding something from you for a while now," she finally managed to say.

"Which is?" I asked.

She shakes her head and takes deep breaths to prevent herself from crying. I couldn't help but wrap my arms around her, rubbing her back gently to calm her down.

"Hey, Lainey. It's okay. You know you can tell me anything. Whatever it is, tell me," I said gently.

"The bruises you saw...," she started. I continue to rub her back as I wait patiently for her to go on. "They didn't come from anything accidental. They came from something else,"

She stops again, unable to form into words about what happened. I'm truly getting worried about this. Alaina and I tell each other everything and the fact that she's scared to tell me what is going on is a little upsetting. What does she think I'm going to do? It's not like I'm going to tell anyone.

"Alaina, please. Just tell me what happened! You can trust me," I stated again.

"They were from my uncle. H-H-He hits me," she admitted, slowly.

"What? What do you mean he hits you?" I asked, starting to get angry. "How long has this been going on? Why didn't you- "

"Harry stop, slow down!" she pleaded, cutting me off.

I immediately stop. Not going to lie but I was starting to get carried away. The last thing I want to do is scare her with my anger. But I'm not wrong to feel that way, right? I'm obviously not mad at her, however I'm still upset that she didn't tell me about this when she knows that she can trust me with anything.

I'm also upset with the fact that she's getting hurt by someone in her house who she's supposed to trust, and no one hasn't noticed, and they didn't make a stop to it. I'm even angry at myself for not noticing what has been going on. We're more than just best friends, we're like soulmates. I know her more than anyone, but I couldn't tell that she's being abused in her own home.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to get upset and ask all those questions. I'm just concerned," I replied.

"It's okay. You have the right to feel that way," she sighed.

"So...how long has this been going on?" I questioned.

She lets out a small huff while looking down at the floor.

"For a while. Maybe almost a year now,"

Suddenly I begin to feel red except I try to hide it because I don't want to stress her out even more. This has been going on for almost a year and I'm just learning about this. Either Alaina has been good at hiding it, I can't believe no one, especially me, hasn't taken the time to put two and two together and notice the signs. We've learned about them multiple times at school. How could she hide this for so long?

"What? A year? Alaina! You hid this for almost a year?"

"I know. I'm sorry. I should have told you, but I was scared," she said.

I nod.

"He never threatened you...if you told anyone, did he?"

She shakes her head. Okay, that's sort of a relief.