Chapter 17: Kheenche Mujhe Koi Dor Teri Ore

Note: This chapter is dedicated to Mimi, Tia, and Mansi. You three will see why. 😇 Everyone else—if you know, you know. If you don't know, here's the best summary for the inside joke that inspired this chapter—
https://twitter.com/arpita_tia/status/1393870802181705730?s=21
Y'all can thank me later. 🤣😂🤣😂

Also shout out to my FD besties, Charu and Aditi, for inspiring me and bringing on a Tejy high so insane that I literally stayed up half the night writing the second half of this chapter. 😂

FYI, I struggle with writing romance. 😂 This is the height of what y'all are going to get from me. 🤣 As always, I'm so thankful for the love and feedback I get from all of you. Now I'm going to go hide under a rock for the next decade. 😂 Lots of love and light! 💕

Song Inspiration: Teri Ore sung by Shreya Ghoshal and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan

Kartik unlocked the door of the Sea Shells flat. As he stepped inside, he reached over to flip the switch and turn on the light. Having deja vu from the years she spent living there with her father, Naira subconsciously leaned forward to look at the interiors. But just as her foot lifted to step over the threshold, Kartik's hands took hold of her upper arms to stop her. He gently pushed her back a few steps and she looked at him with wide startled eyes.

"Naira, ruko ek minute." He said.

"Kyon, kya huwa? Kartik, mujhe thand lag raha hai!" She whined, hugging herself to keep warm. Kartik removed his jacket and draped it over her. Naira looked down at it and back up at him, completely unimpressed since the jacket was just as wet as her clothes. His eyes contracted apologetically and mouthed a small "sorry."

"Bas ek minute. Main abhi aata hoon. Tum yahin rukhna, please." He touched her cheek affectionately before rushing past her to the stairs.

"Arre par tum jaa kahaan rahe ho?" She called after him. But he was already running down the steps. "Yeh Mendak bhi na. Pata nahin ab kya khurafaat chal raha hai uske dimaag mein."

A minute later, Naira could hear running footsteps on the stairs. When she looked back, she saw Kartik with Kittu in tow, an aarti plate in his hand.

"Kritika, aap yahan?" Naira asked as Kittu sprinted straight to her to give her a hug. She looked over at Kartik but he was too busy setting the thaali.

"Kittu ko nahin aate honge na yeh sab isiliye main aagayi." Kritika said, teasingly.

Without raising his eyes from the plate, Kartik quickly snapped back, "Oh hello, mujhe sab aata hai, okay. Aapko sirf aarti ki thaali return karne ke liye laaya hoon. Badi aayi." He grumbled and Naira and Kittu giggled.

Carefully lighting the diya, he took the plate and stood in front of Naira. Placing a tilak on her forehead and studiously sprinkling flower petals on her, he did her aarti—for her coming home to
him. After he was done, he handed the aarti plate to Kittu, gesturing to her with his head to scram and go home. Kittu scrunched her nose in protest, causing Kartik to purse his lips in a bantering threat.

She simply placed her hands on her waist and raised her eyebrows saying, "Aarti toh kar diya aapne. Didi ko andar nahin bulaoge?"

"Voh sab aap mujhpe chod do. Ab jao. Dekho Mummy bulaa rahi hogi aapko. Jao jao." He pointed towards the stairs with his nose, sweepingly waving his hand.

"Mujhe pata hai voh nahin bulaa rahi hai phir bhi main jaati hoon. Aap unn heroes jaisa kuch karna chahte ho na, jaise Mummy ke serials mein hote hai?"

"Kittu," Kartik said, through clenched teeth, while Naira pressed her lips together to hold back her laugh, "Kal school hai na aapka?"

"Oh haan! Test bhi hai. Theeke theeke, main jaati hoon. Bye Didi! Bye Kittu! Billi ko mat aane dena andar."