Chapter 9: Sab Hai Dikhave Jhoote Behlave

Song inspiration: Ghalat Fehmi sung by Asim Azhar and Zenab Fatimah Sultan

The following morning, Naira sat at the dining table, picking at her food, distracted. Memories from the night before, in the car with Kartik, flashed in her mind.

Raigaan hai wafa yahan
Raaigan...
Sahibaan jo laga tha kabhi
Woh faraib-e-nazar asmaan

Though she was certain of her path, she felt an uneasiness in the pit of her stomach, as though her intuition was telling her she was going the wrong way.

Ab sharafat nahi
Yeh rivayat nahi baaki
Ho kisi ki qadar
Aisi aadat nahi baaki

Everything she consciously wanted to say to Kartik, she had said...or at least tried to say. He certainly would have read the pain and hesitance in her eyes the way she had read the loneliness and guilt in his. She was too scared to accept what she saw in his eyes though. There was no going back.

Tarasti hain nigahain meri takti hain rahein teri sun kabhi aahein meri

Yeh kaise main bataon tujhe soti nahi aankhein meri kat-ti nahi raatein meri

But the guilt over Kairav had tormented her all night, not allowing her to sleep well. One day or another, Kartik would find out. And as much as Naira hated to admit, he did have a right to know.

"Naira, voh bowl pass karna, please?" Naira didn't respond nor seem to notice that Keerti was speaking to her. "Naira? Naira." She waved a hand in front of Naira's face trying to snap her out of it. Naira blinked and looked up.

"Kya huwa, Bhabhi? Kuch chahiye the aapko?" She asked, while hovering a hand to reach for any of the requested bowls.

"Kya baat hai, Naira?" Keerti asked, concerned. Naira shook her head, retreating her hand and picking up her fork again.

"Kuch nahin, Bhabhi. Bas aise hi. Theek se soh nahin pai raat mein."

"Kyon? Koi pareshaani hai office mein?"

Naira hesitated for a moment. She looked at her concerned bhabhi and knew that she couldn't hide this matter for long. Especially if Kartik did call her to meet today or the next day.

"Kartik iss project pe kaam kar raha hai," Naira said monotonously. Keerti froze, her eyes slightly widening before her expression settled into a solemn, understanding look.

"Project chodna chahti ho?"

"Nahin, nahin," Naira said quickly, "Agar chodi toh bohut nuksaan hoga jo hum iss waqt afford nahin kar sakte. Main manage kar rahi hoon, Bhabhi." She looked down at her plate and started picking at her food again.

"Are you sure?"

Naira nodded. Keerti reached out and held her hand. Though Keerti's face continued to look empathetic, inside she was extremely happy. That Naira had not decided to pick up and leave after discovering Kartik was in the same city, let alone her business partner, was a huge step and a sign of hope. Hope that Keerti needed to be able to do whatever was necessary to try to bring the broken pieces back together. For Naira. For Kairav. And for Kartik.

_____________________

"Sorry, main late hogayi, Payal" Naira said, as she hurried breathlessly into the office.

"Koi baat nahin hai, Naira," Payal said reassuringly. "Vaise bhi Wednesdays thoda sa slow hi chalta hai yahan so no worries."

Naira sat down at the table with a catalogue of Singhania Diamond's inventory of gemstones. She and Payal began discussing them.