Chapter 5: Kaisa Sulook Zindagi Tu Kar Rahi Hai

Song inspiration: Yahaan Wahaan Hai Tu (sad) from Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai

Naira reached the hotel, opening the door to a wailing Kairav. Keerti was trying her best to calm him.

"Lao, Bhabhi, main sambhalti hoon usse." She took Kairav and as soon as he saw his Mumma's face, his cries began to quieten into small whimpers.

"Oh le le, mera baby. Kya huwa? Itna kyon roye jaa rahe? Mumma ko yaad kar rahe the? Ab agayi na Mumma." She bounced him and placed a kiss on the side of his head, little giggles erupting out of him. Naira smiled down at her precious little world. If she was alive today, it was only for her Kairav.

She looked up and noticed that a lot of the things that had been spread around the room before had been packed back into their suitcases.

"Bhabhi?"

"Hum kal shift kar rahe. Sea Shells mein flat available nahin tha par uske bagal mein jo building hai, vahan mil gaye ek apartment. Papa se bhi baat ki maine—unko bata diya ke hum vahan shift kar rahe." Keerti noticed Naira suddenly looking towards the floor, lost in thoughts. "Kya huwa, Naira? Itni pareshaan kyon ho?"

"Kahin voh yahan toh nahin agaye, Bhabhi? Pata nahin kyon subah se uske khayaal chod hi nahin rahe mujhe." She looked at Keerti's face, which had frozen in an uncomfortable expression. She instantly felt guilty. "Sorry Bhabhi. I know you miss him. Aur aap baat kar lena chahiye usse. Aakhir hai toh aapke bhai. Bhai behen ka rishta ek aisi rishta hai jo kabhi bikhar nahin sakta. Sirf isiliye ki main usse door rehna chahti hoon, aap apne bhai se door mat ho jaana, Bhabhi."

Keerti turned around, pretending to be busy herself with Krish but trying to hide her slight panic. "Tum na, kuch zyaada hi soch rahi ho, Naira. Aur aisi koi baat nahin hai. Voh bhi mujhe call kar sakta hai par nahin karta. Toh main kyon karun?"

Keerti thought of earlier that day when she had gone to Sea Shells, pushing a double stroller with both the babies. She had run into Kritika, who had recognized her and given her a full run down of recent happenings...including the return of Kittu Two.

The way fate plays with people was honestly something to behold. It would be a lie to say she wasn't infuriated at her brother for what happened. But she also knew her brother well and knew that he must have spent every day since then unable to forgive himself. He was sure to be living out a life of exile locked away in his own little prison of only Naira's memories.

And Naira wasn't happy either. She could put on a face of indifference—could pretend that she seethingly hated Kartik's name—but Keerti could see the longing in her face every time she looked at Kairav, who looked more and more like a baby shadow of his father by the day.

And most importantly Kairav. The small innocent baby did not understand at this age but a day would certainly come when he would want and need his papa. It would be wrong to intentionally deprive him of that relationship.

Keerti had requested Kritika not to say anything to anyone, using an excuse that she wanted to surprise her brother. Thankfully Kittu was excited by the idea, eager to help however she could.

She turned back around to face her nanad, "Naira, tum Krish ko bhi sambhal sakti ho? Main jaake humare liye khaana pick karti hoon."

"Ji, Bhabhi." As Keerti left, Naira watched over the two little boys. Eventually they tired themselves out and fell asleep without a fuss.

Still lost in a strange daze, she pulled her diary out of her bag, flipping it open to the empty pages where she had stashed a lone photograph.

Chukar gayi kaisi chuwan
Barsa hai dil aur barse nayan