Chapter 3: Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh

Song inspiration: Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh sung by Lata Mangeshkar

Naira walked through the showroom. Something about some of the designs stood out to her—brought a sense of familiarity to her—but she didn't have time to study them as she strode towards the back where a man was sitting in front of a computer.

"Hello, I'm Naira from Singhania Diamonds. Payal Jaiswal ke saath mera meeting hai 10 baje."

"Ji ma'am, aap please behtiye, main Payal ma'am ko bataati hoon ke aap aayi ho." He gestured towards one of the cushioned chairs and Naira sat down, gathering her bag and files into her lap and trying her best to calm herself. Her nerves were tingling with tension and she knew it had nothing to do with the business meeting.

Ajeeb daastaan hai yeh
Kahan shuru kahan khatam
Yeh manzile hai kaunsi
Na voh samajh sake na hum

"Ganga Maiyya, kya hone vala hai?" She worried, staring up at the ceiling.

_____________________

Kartik had just finished his lecture. His restlessness had only grown throughout the hour of teaching and he just wanted some time to sit by the seaside and breathe in some calming fresh air. His phone rang. He saw it was his design supervisor, Payal, and sighed. So much for some quiet time.

"Good morning Kartik sir! I hope aapka lecture achi rahi. Main bas update karne ke liye call kar rahi hoon. Aaj voh diamond manufacturer ke saath ek meeting hai 10 baje. From what we've seen while researching, the team and I think they might be the best option for the new Diwali line—their gem collection is very versatile. Si..." Kartik cut her off, knowing that if he didn't, she would excitedly continue on forever.

"Haan pata hai, Akshay ne bataaya tha mujhe—South Africa se." In truth, Akshay, his manager, had not given him any details about this company, but he had mentioned in passing that the design team were in talks with a South African based manufacturer who seemed very promising. Really that was all he cared about at the moment since he didn't have the patience to listen to Payal ramble.

"Ji sir. S..."

"Theeke, Payal, jaake mil lo unke representative se aur dekhna unke taraf se deal mein kya expectations hai. Main ek do ghante mein office pohunch jaunga. Agar koi issues hai, Akshay se keh dena." He thought 'sorry, not sorry, Akshay' in his head with a grimace as he said this. Akshay and Payal had a bit of a tense history.

"Alright, sir." Payal said, before ending the call.

As he made his way to his car, Kartik thought maybe he could still spare a little time on the beach before he had to head to the office.

_____________________

Naira sat with Payal finalizing the details of the deal. It looked like she would have to remain in Mumbai for the next two months to help in acquiring the gemstones they were looking to use for their Diwali collection.

Unintentionally, Naira had also given some design input and Payal was impressed. She offered Naira a freelance designing position in the project if she was interested. She asked, at the very least, for some help with the designs—wanting her to sit with the design team if possible and give some guidance as they were a little disorganized. But Naira was wary about stepping back into the designing side of things. The last time she was involved in that world, it took everything away from her. No, she told herself, his ego took everything away from both of us, not my designing.

By the end of the meeting, Naira convinced herself that it wouldn't hurt to accept the freelancing offer. Payal was elated.

"Our boss will be very happy. He's been looking for a designer with an eye like yours. I guess his wife used to be very talented in making new designs with that perfect touch of old, classic charm in modern designs."