Chapter 4: Aahatein Bichde Saanson Ki Hai

Song inspiration: O More Saiyaan from Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai

Payal tried her best to keep up with Akshay as he was walking so fast, speeding down the hall until they reached Kartik's cabin.

"Akshay...SIR," she added with pointed emphasis, "Why did we come to Kartik sir's cabin? Kuch bataoge bhi?" But Akshay was still stuck in his own panic and speaking to himself in a fast ramble.

"Kartik sir ko bataun? Kaisa react karega? Yeh kaunsa savaal hai, Akshay, kaisa react karega? Of course, he'll be happy. Pareshani ki baat yeh hai ke baad mein kya hoga. Naira ji kaise react karegi? Aur Sir hai kahan?!" He pulled out his phone to call Kartik.

Payal came and stood in front of him waving her hands in front of his face, "Hello, can I remind you that I am also here? Chal kya raha hai?" Akshay looked at her as though he had completely forgotten that she was there.

"Sorry. Bhool gaye. Tumhe ek kaam karni hai—jitni dehr ho sake, Naira Goenka ko vahin bitaake rakhna—at least until Kartik sir gets here." Payal stared blankly into Akshay's face.

"Naira GOENKA?  As in Goenka Goenka? Kartik Goenka ki...?" She flailed her hands signing Akshay to finish the sentence. He nodded his head impatiently and finally said "wife." He turned towards Kartik's desk and grabbed a photo frame off of a hidden corner.

"I didn't realize she was a part of Singhania Diamonds and a Singhania," he said, flipping the frame around to show her, "Naira Goenka. Kartik Goenka ki patni jo ek saal pehle unko chodke chali gayi thi." Payal stared at the picture of Kartik and Naira. They were standing in each other's embrace, dressed for a function surely, and looking like a fairytale happily-ever-after couple. They looked so genuinely in love—what could have happened that Naira left him? Whatever it was, surely that love still had to be there somewhere, Payal thought as she perked up.

"Please tell me hum inn dono ko milane vaale hai. I love a good milan story." She clapped her hands together with a day dreamy expression. Akshay side eyed her before snapping his fingers.

"Back to reality, okay? Hum koshish toh karne vaale hai but yeh tumhare novels ya movies jaise nahin hai jahan sab ekdum perfect hota hai. Real life is more complicated than that."

"Kyon nahin ho sakta? Jahan pyaar hai vahan kuch bhi ho sakta hai. Aur yeh dono ek doosre ke jaan hai—you can see it in their eyes, photo toh dekho," she said, grabbing the frame, flipping it and shoving it in Akshay's face. "And don't start your 'complicated life' ki basha here, okay? Main Naira ji ke paas jaa rahi hoon. Jab Sir aajaye, mujhe message kar lena." She paused. "We should have a codeword."

"Like?" Akshay asked incredulously and Payal began to think.

"Hai Ram!" She said dramatically.

"Kya!?" Akshay asked worried, his eyes looking at her slightly panicked at her sudden exclamation. Payal smiled back sweetly.

"Yeh hoga humara codeword."

Akshay stared at her unimpressed, "yeh kaisa codeword hai?"

"Abhi ke liye chalega. Main jaa rahi hoon, Naira ji itni dehr se vahan akeli hai. Kahin bhaag na jaye." And with that she ran out of the room leaving Akshay to drown in his stress as he tried to reach Kartik.

It might have been after walking nearly the length of Mumbai in paces across Kartik's office that Akshay heard someone walk in behind him.

"Ho kya raha hai? Why are you pacing?!" Akshay turned in joyous surprise and ran to tightly hug his boss. Kartik squirmed and tried to release himself from his insane manager.