Chapter 6: Tum Kahaan Hum Kahaan

Song inspiration: Do Pal sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Sonu Nigam

"Okay," Payal signed, "here we go." Kartik gave a double thumbs up that Payal returned. They turned to Akshay, who was giving himself a murmured pep talk while pacing. They gave up on their attempt to cheer him on.

Payal took continuous deep breaths to ease her anxiousness as she went down the stairs to receive Naira. When she finally saw Naira, for a second, Payal wasn't sure who was more nervous. She wasn't sure why Naira seemed so panicked. It looked as though she was lost in her own thoughts and Payal had to call her name a few times before Naira jumped in surprise.

_____________________

Naira trailed behind Payal as they headed in the direction of Akshay's cabin to look over some of the designs for the collection. The edginess in her nerves grew with each step she took, a sense of awareness becoming unbearable. She only half registered Payal suddenly stopping before the door and turning to her, looking at her wearily.

"Andar jaane se pehle, I just want to warn you...Akshay sir thoda..." Payal made a finger flick motion near her temple with a crack noise, "Meaning voh bohut acha hai, bohut acha business man hai, par unki biwi ki jaane ke gham mein, he's not always with it, if you know what I mean...Just...please thoda patience rakhna unke saath. Aur agar voh thoda lost lagta hai ya phir kuch bhool jaata hai, toh bura mat maniyega." She looked hopefully at Naira and Naira, looking a little flabbergasted, nodded her head. Payal immediately broke into a large smile, "Great! Aayiye Naira ji."

She held the door open and allowed Naira to step through the door frame. Naira was filled with terror as she passed the threshold of the office, but when she looked around, there was no one but Akshay and Payal. She breathed a small sigh of relief though the anxious panic continued to press on her chest. Akshay came forward from across the room, holding out a hand.

"Thank you for your patience, Naira ji, and sorry about yesterday. Voh kuch emergency aa gaya tha." Akshay said as he shook her hand.

"It's okay, I understand," Naira said. "I'm sorry. Sab kuch finalized hone se pehle hi jaana pada par mera jaana zaroori thi."

"No worries—it actually worked out well this way." Akshay said, "Humara manager aur design head kal nahin tha office mein par aaj hain. Aapki introduction karwa sakte unse."

"Oh, that would be great," Naira said.

"Toh hum deal finalize kare?" Akshay asked, gesturing his hand towards his desk.

"Absolutely," Naira responded.

Payal pulled out the file and placed it on the desk. Naira smiled at her and behind her, Akshay made a nervous glance at Payal, who pursed her lips and glared at him in a way to tell him not to choke now.

Naira had already signed the papers the day before, having agreed to the terms, but she and Akshay glanced through the papers once again just to make sure everything was in order. She, Payal, and Akshay discussed details pertaining to the deal, clarifying the obligations and liabilities that had been agreed upon the previous day. Finally Naira sighed and nodded when they were all finished, and she looked up to give a tight, confirming smile. Akshay responded with a nod and rubbed his hands. "Perfect," he said.

Payal handed Akshay a pen and he looked at her confused.

"Aapko sign karna hai, sir."

"Sign...," he suddenly looked like a deer in headlights. Payal held back an urge to slap the back of his head. On the other side, Naira now understood what Payal meant about his mental presence and pitied the poor man.