ninety

"Where we going dada?" Aiden asked, clearly bored from the car drive. He forgot his wooden train and books at home, so he had nothing to play with during the car ride.

"We are on our way to your grandparents- well Nialls parents. I wanna talk to them, and I'm sure they will be happy to see their grandson again." The father explained smiling, eyes still focused on the street. Aiden nodded understanding, remembering the last time he had played with the plastic guitar.

„Gwonna take long?"

Liam laughed. „No peanut it hopefully won't. It's kinda depending on how my conversation with them goes."

„What talk about?"

„You will find out soon enough babe. But I know if I will tell you now, you're gonna tell it to mommy." The father explained giving his son a quick look. Aiden shook his head, disagreeing but Liam knew his son doesn't understand the importance of keeping a secret. After that he turned on the Disney soundtrack of Moana because he knew that would let Aiden forget about their conversation.

"Yes dada! Turn louder!" His boy exclaimed happily and Liam did just that with a grin. It didn't take much longer for them to arrive and the father was basically shaking when they got out of the car.

He took Aiden out and carried him up to the door, letting him press the doorbell.

"Daddy you all white?"

"You mean I look pale?" Liam laughed. "Thanks for boosting my confidence peanut." He said but then the door already opened, a surprised Bobby in front of them. "Hi!" Aiden greeted him with a precision smile.

"Hello you two, uhm come in? Is Niall with you as well?" He asked a skeptical look on his face.

"No Niall didn't drive back here with us, he had to stay because of university. Aiden and I will just stay here for a week because I had to get back on some work things. And Aiden can go back to kindergarten while we're here. But that's not why we came to visit, I need to talk to you and Maura." Liam explained, trying to  hold his son, who was trying everything to get down.

Bobby noticed that. "Oh let the boy down. You wanna drink something Aiden? C'mon let's go in the kitchen Maura is there as well." He said taking Aiden out of Liams arms without a word to go in the kitchen. Liam was left, looking after them with a confused expression. Okay that went better than expected. Now he just had to drop the bomb on them. And he had no idea how they would react. But he expected the worst.

"Liam dear! Hello, it's great to see you two again, you wanna have a cup of tea?" Maura said smiling, pointing at the table for Liam to sit down.

"Uhm yeah."

"Here you go, I'll get some milk. You wanna use oat milk? Niall always preferred that." Maura exclaimed and Liam just nodded, letting out a shaky breath as Nialls mom put down the mug in front of him. "What's bothering you Liam? Is something wrong with Niall?" She asked as she noticed the look on Liams face. The brunette shook his head right away.

"No- no, Niall is totally fine, it's just that
I- I wanna ask..." he stuttered but no clear sentence left his lips.

"Now spit it out boy!" Bobby sighed.

"I wanna ask for your sons hand in marriage." Liam quickly uttered, not daring to look up into their faces.

"As in proposing??" Maura gasped.
And when Liam nodded Bobby escaped a loud: "Really?".

"I already have something in mind, b-but I obviously wanted to ask you two first- it's just something really big and important to me. I love your son with my entire heart, I wanna spend the rest of my life with him. Make him the happiest man on earth, I just need your okay first."

"But you haven't even been together that long." Bobby said, just stating the facts.

"We will celebrate our first year at the end of this month... I know you normally don't get engaged this early but he's the love of my life. I couldn't imagine being with anyone else, I wanna grow our family with him, get old together- I want him to be mine forever." Liam explained looking down.

"Aww! God that's so sweet!"

"MAURA!" Bobby exclaimed.

"C'mon isn't it just adorable? I can't remember ever being that much in love."

"Excuse me? Oh god." Nialls father replied rolling his eyes but Maura just started laughing.
While Aiden was already gone, exploring the hallway, Liam still stood there, feeling uncomfortable as fuck.

"I mean- I have to agree with Bobby, it's pretty early my dear. But you and Niall are a good match. And you're a father, have good paying job and you definitely care for our boy. You have our okay." Maura said quietly a smoker over her face.

Liams head went up. "Really?"

"Well I didn't agree-"

"Oh stop it Horan. Our son is getting married!" Maura yelled out in excitement, giving Liam a hug, who hugged back quickly, even though it came a bit unexpected.

"I've got your yes? For sure?" He just had to ask again. Now both of Nialls parents nodded. Maura faster than Bobby.

"Don't you dare to ever make him feel sad or disappointed!" Bobby murmured. Liam nodded, but before he could reply anything Aiden came back running into the kitchen. "DADA I FOUND SOME DARS! PWLEASE OPEN?" He yelled out stopping in front of his father with a package of hot wheels cars.

"Where did you found these peanut?"

"Oh I laid them down on the coffee table in the living room. We saw and bought them the last time we went grocery shopping. Thought he would like them. Come to me, I'll help you open them." Bobby said, the grumpy look on his face changed into a happy one in a matter of seconds.

"Thweir for me?" Aiden asked, eyes big and as soon as he got the "Yeah." as reply he was jumping up and down happily.

"Peanut?" Liam asked, lifting up an eyebrow. Aiden quickly remembered.

"Th-Thank ya!" He giggled.

"No problem my dear, glad you like them." Maura smiled. "Now say Liam- how are you planning on asking Niall?" She asked. And Liam was close to spit out the tea he just took a sip of.
After a bit of coughing, he tried to explain what for ideas he had collected already.

"Uhm well... our one year anniversary would be on the last Saturday of this month. I already kinda asked my parents to look after Aiden for a night, they said they would come and visit us, so they will stay in a hotel with him. I'm gonna look for a hotel with a pool and a play area so that it will be a fun small weekend trip for him. And for the proposal... I wanna take Niall to this small private beach, around 45 minutes away from our apartment. It also has a tiny house with a bedroom, fridge and a bathroom. It's really just for short time stays. My plan is that everything is already prepared when we get there and I kinda wanna get a secret photographer to capture the moment."

"That Sounds lovely! I'm sure Niall will have the time of his life. God I can't wait to see the pictures! I bet it's gonna look so romantic." Nialls mother exclaimed and Liam just nodded a small smile on his lips. Thank god, it's over, he did it. Asking Nialls parents was probably scarier than asking Niall himself.

"What pwctures?" Aiden asked confused.

"Nothing Aiden. Just some old family pictures." Liam replied and the boy nodded not caring, because Bobby finally got the cars out of the package.

______________

an update FINALLYYY. i'm sorry i didn't update last week oopsie. but now here ya gooo, liam wants to propose, i mean- how could he not?