3. Backseat Bingo

3

"Good morning living room fort residents! The current time is 9:47 this fine Saturday morning, the temperature today is a cool 13 degrees, which is a good..." thud  "fuck, I dropped my phone, a good...hang on...55 degrees Fahrenheit for all you Fahrenheit users or just plain weirdos. This has been Niall Horan with the Suite 2817 News, enjoy your day."

"Does he do that every morning?" Harry whispered to Louis afraid Niall would hear him and start up again.

"Not always, but sometimes he will just so he can go to the loo and come out saying 'this just in, I would not go in there, more on that at 11,'" Louis shrugged, chuckling at his roommate and his odd announcing habit.

"I remember he told me that he always secretly wanted to be a weatherman, maybe he's just living out that dream," Harry replied, popping his head over the barrier that protected him from Louis.

A few moments later, Niall was joined in their kitchenette by Zayn and Liam. Louis figured it was as good a time as any to emerge from their impenetrable blanket fort.

"Tommo, don't forget it's the first Saturday of the month," Liam spoke as he chewed spitting bits of French toast all over Zayn's plate.

Zayn just rolled his eyes and continued eating.

"Shit you're right, do you mind making me some tea while I deconstruct Buckingham Palace over here?" Louis made eye contact with Niall as he jerked his thumb over his shoulder at the now, rather disheveled, blanket fort.

With a loud sigh and a muffled "fine," Niall made his way over to the coffee bar, that also held Louis's tea, it wasn't his fault he was the only one with class and started carefully making everything to Louis's standards.

"What's so special about the first Saturday of the month?" Harry asked as Louis finished collapsing the fort and, oh right, Louis had forgotten he was here.

"Oh right, Al, the garden maintenance man? His wife makes bread and he told me I reminded him of his grandson who is some nature photographer in Australia and doesn't get to visit much. So, on the first Saturday of the month, he shares his fresh bread with me and we talk about life," Louis explained, grabbing one of his discarded vans and spinning around, scanning the suite for the other.

"The one who speaks solely in weird 1950s American slang? And demands to be called Elderly Al? I love that guy!" Harry exclaimed as Louis pulled his missing shoe out of the cabinet under the sink.

"Yeah, he spent some time in Chicago in the late 50s and just really liked the way they talked I guess. Now he does it because it quote 'keeps the weird ones away' endquote, so..." Louis continued, now running from his room smelling a hoodie as he pulled it over his head.

"Well I better get back to my room, Ed probably thinks I was abducted or something, I'll text you about finishing up the project later?" Harry asked fumbling with the throw pillows until he felt they looked just right.

"Yeah sounds good see you all later!" Louis threw over his shoulder as he ran out of the suite.

✗ ✗ ✗

"Sorry I'm late Al!" Louis shouted as he approached the bench he and Al always met at.

"That's alright King Louis you're here now friend, that's all that matters!" Since the day they had met Al had called him King Louis, and Louis took great joy in that, finally, someone was recognized how he should be treated like royalty.

"Thanks," Louis took the piece of bread Al was offering as he collapsed onto the bench next to him.

"What's buzzin'?" Al asked after a moment of silent bread noshing.