two

Astraea Black had never been interested in the sorting ever since it had separated her, Sirius, and Regulus.

At only eleven years old, Astraea and Sirius had been given their best traits and had been told who to like and who to hate.

At only eleven years old, the two were taught that Slytherins were ambitious, cunning, and resourceful and Gryffindors were chivalrous, determined, and courageous. They were told that Slytherins and Gryffindors just don't get along, but no one would tell them why.

At only eleven years old, everyone was told that Slytherins are evil and the Gryffindors are the good guys.

It had been different for Astraea and her siblings.

They had been taught about houses ever since they were little kids as their parents and relatives would recount their days at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Ever since she was four years old, the girl was told that the only people she should ever respect and treat as her equal were all the purebloods in Slytherin.

The girl was told how she should live her life at Hogwarts, and then once sorted, came a different instruction page on how she should treat others and how others would treat her.

At such a young age, children were told how they would be defined for the rest of their lives.

They would tell that Slytherins and Gryffindors were polar opposites.

But if one looked at it closely, Gryffindors and Slytherins weren't that different at all.

Gryffindors wanted everyone to fear them and Slytherins wanted all to envy them.

Astraea would often wonder why two houses who acted so different, yet were so similar, hated each other so much?

But she would never get an answer.

When Regulus got sorted into Slytherin, the small thread that was keeping his and Sirius's bond together broke.

Astraea and Regulus were close but not as close as they used to be.

When Regulus was told that he was cunning, ambitious, self-preserved and everything a Slytherin should be, he distanced himself from the rest of the world.

Astraea has tried to bring him out of his bubble, but he would never listen. Perhaps, he felt happier alone than he would be with the others. She would never know, but she knew that she would respect whatever he wished to do as long as it kept him safe.

Ever since she had seen the views of purebloods break apart the relationship between the Black cousins, she had vowed to do whatever it takes to keep Sirius and Regulus safe.

Astraea sighed and looked at the long line of first years, following Professor McGonagall, getting ready to be given their values and thoughts.

"When is this going to be over?" An obnoxious and annoying voice shook Astraea out of her thoughts.

"The sorting hasn't even started Victoria, calm down." Astraea's best friend, Isabella Fawley spoke up with raised eyebrows.

Victoria Malfoy scowled and crossed her arms as she looked at Professor McGonagall take out a scroll.

The first student was sorted into Gryffindor, and Astraea rolled her eyes as the Gryffindors burst into loud cheers. She never understood why the Gryffindors had to be so loud, about anything. She didn't have a problem with it, but it annoyed her sometimes.

"Do they have to be so loud?" Victoria groaned.

"Would you shut up and focus on what's going on?" Astraea snapped at the platinum blonde fifth year, her own face twisting into a scowl like the girl in front of her.