thirty nine

"Oh for fuck's sake-" Astraea Black was cut off as a bludger sped towards her and the girl swerved, trying to dodge it as Emma Vanity tossed the quaffle to Lucinda Bishop from her spot as a keeper.

Mary McDonald's words as a commentator drowned out as the brunette Slytherin sped towards the opposite goal hoops, dodging yet another bludger thrown by Maia Jackson from Ravenclaw. She tossed the quaffle to Astraea as one of the Ravenclaws attempted to snatch the quaffe from her, and the raven-haired Slytherin headed straight for the goal and scored.

"Seventy-Sixty to Slytherin!" Mary yelled into the microphone as the Slytherins and a few others burst into cheers.

Grant Page, Ravenclaw's keeper threw the quaffle, immediately intercepted by Skye Parkin, who flew towards the goals protected by the Slytherins and Astraea and Lucinda flew behind her as Neil Lament flew towards the Ravenclaw from the opposite end.

"Just catch the bloody snitch!" Astraea yelled as she passed her younger brother when the Ravenclaw chaser dodged Lucinda's attempt to get the quaffle.

"I'm trying!" He yelled back as the Slytherin quidditch captain turned immediately once she noticed a bludger heading her way.

A huge cheer from the Ravenclaw stands and disappointed groans from the others echoed through the pitch and Astraea suppressed the urge to take a beater's bat and slam it on her head because the two teams were once again at the same score, just like they had been for the past two hours.

Emma Vanity threw the quaffle back, clearly annoyed at herself, and it was received by a Ravenclaw chaser but immediately intercepted by Neil Lament, who rushed forward and then tossed the quaffle to Astraea who was about to throw it in the hoop but passed it to Lucinda instead as she swerved to the right once she saw a flash of gold, trying to dodge the two seekers who were following the golden snitch, yet luckily for her, she had slammed into Skye Parkin and winced as a throbbing pain spread up her right wrist.

The Ravenclaw beater threw a bludger at the Slytherin chaser in possession of the quaffle, and in an attempt to dodge the bludger and the Ravenclaw flying near him, he dropped the quaffle and another Ravenclaw snatched it.

Yet Nathaniel Avery returned the favour by aiming the bludger straight at the Ravenclaw's stomach and Astraea grabbed the dropped quaffle with her left hand, her other wrist still in pain.

"Take it!" She yelled at Neil as she passed the quaffle to him, "I can't shoot with my left hand!"

But Neil Lament didn't have to shoot the quaffle at all because, at the same time, a part of the crowd had burst into cheers, while the others let out groans, and Astraea turned around, breathing a sigh of relief as she spotted Regulus Black's hands enclosed around the snitch as the sixth-year landed on the ground.

The eighteen-year-old grinned as she sped downwards and landed next to her brother, "Great job! Thank god it's over, I don't remember playing such a long match."

"I don't remember chasing the snitch for so long," Regulus nodded, "It usually ends in two minutes. Now, all I want to do is go to bed."

"Agreed."

"After you actually go to the hospital wing instead of trying to fix your wrist by yourself," Isabella Fawley gave the raven-haired girl a look as she appeared in front of the two as the other students too filled in the quidditch pitch, some congratulating the Slytherins while others gave their regrets to the Ravenclaws.

"Well, I'll have you know I wasn't going to do it myself," Astraea crossed her arms, trying not to apply much pressure on her right wrist.

"Yeah," Regulus nodded. "She was going to ask her dear Gryffindor friend."