chapter twenty-three

Jeongguk was going crazy.

Sitting in bed long after everyone had returned home and slunk off to their own rooms, long after Jimin and taehyung had left his own — Jeongguk was going insane.

He didn't know exactly what was causing it, but it was stopping him from sleeping, whatever this feeling was. Anticipation? Happiness? Something else?

Sometimes Jeongguk wished he could taste his own words so he could figure it out.

He sits up, far too awake for three in the morning, and much too alert to continue to try and fall asleep unaided. It was like his interaction with taehyung and Jimin had shot him up with coffee, like he'd taken ten espresso shots in a row and followed them up with an a energy drink for good measure. He was bouncing off the walls — but somehow still content. It was a weird mix of emotions and ones Jeongguk didn't want to dwell on, either, so he stands up, puts on some slippers and pulls open his bedroom door. Their conversation was ringing in his head, Jeongguk dissecting everything they'd said to make sure he'd heard it correctly, trying his fucking best not to overthink and ruin the light feeling blooming in his chest. He wanted to clutch at it, for just a little longer.

He'd ignored sanghoons calls and texts all night. Couldn't believe that he was in the first place, but also feeling so full from his earlier interaction that he didn't feel the need to go hunting for strangers that night. Or want to, either. Full enough just by making out with Jimin and taehyung, wasn't that wild?

Strange to think that just some extra feelings could do so much.

Jeongguk pads into the kitchen, turning the kettle on was almost a muscle memory to him because of how often he did this in the middle of the night now. Not that he'd done this for a few nights — being, preoccupied, n'all.

Jeongguk shakes the thoughts from his head and grabs his black mug from the cabinet, throwing in a camomile tea bag and leaning up against the counter, waiting for the telltale click that meant his water was done boiling. Jeongguk sighs, looking out the kitchens window and thinking idly of sneaking into taehyung and jimins room to steal their vapes, thinking he'd very much like to have some tea and vape on the balcony, calm his racing heart, but ultimately deciding against it on the off chance one of them wakes up and scolds him. Although after everything that had transpired earlier he didn't actually think they'd be able to yell at him, but whatever.

Maybe he could steal yoongis cigarettes?

The kettle clicks and Jeongguk jumps a little, forgetting about it as he turns and pours the boiling water into his mug. Watching the steam swirl into the air as he holds the hot mug between his palms is entertaining, perhaps a little too entertaining for someone in their twenties and perhaps a little too reminiscent of another kind of smoke Jeongguk craves. It's not like he was a smoker. Non of them were — they just, did it sometimes. For taehyung it was an anxiety reliever, for Jimin it was an appetite suppressant when he was on a diet but now he was more on the same side as taehyung, and for yoongi well, apparently, he'd been smoking on and off since he was a teenager so he couldn't really help it. Jeongguk had gotten a vape as soon as he was old enough, but Namjoon had found it and thrown it out much like he had with taehyungs first. So Jeongguk didn't keep one around anymore, mainly just using taehyungs and Jimins (despite their complaining) because Namjoon couldn't do anything about it anymore because 'he was an adult now' as Jin had said. But Jeongguk had taken a liking to the very occasional cigarette after a concert, or particularly strenuous dance practice, very impractical in his line of word he knew but considering it was the only considered bad thing he did — Jeongguk and the others let it slide. As long as he wasn't addicted then it was okay.