chapter thirty-four

Jeongguk kicks off his shoes in the foyer as jimins does the same behind him, swinging the plastic bag between his hands and hitting Jeongguks butt with it. Jeongguk was still a little shaken from earlier and jimin had been trying his best to lighten the mood, but Jeongguk couldn't get his hands to stop shaking or his heart to slow back down to normal. Even as they'd safely returned home and locked the doors, Jeongguk couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling of dread that they always made him feel. The fact they were hanging around the area Jeongguk lived and worked made it all the more worse too, because that meant they were undoubtedly looking for him. Waiting him out. The thought send a shiver down Jeongguks spine, and even worse was the thought that they'd come across one of the other members and recognise them and — Jeongguk shakes the thought away, not wanting to imagine it.

"Stop thinking about it," jimin comes up beside him, patting Jeongguk on the small of his back and then nudging him forward until they're in the living room. "You'll only make yourself worry more,"

"I know."

Jimin gives him a pitying look, and then his eyes shift to something darker. "You should've let me—" he cuts himself off when he sees Jeongguk clench his jaw. "Look, they're assholes, yes, but I bet they wouldn't have even been able to do anything in such a public place anywa—"

Jimin gets cut off by Jeongguk pulling him in for a hug, circling his arms around jimins shoulders and pulling him tight against his chest. Jimin takes a moment to react but when he does he's wrapping his arms around Jeongguks waist and holding him just as tight. Jimin didn't know what they were like, and Jeongguk was glad for that — he hoped the other would never find out. But to think they wouldn't do anything to them just because of how many people were around was ridiculous. They never and would never care about that sort of thing, not in hell and certainly not on the surface, either, no matter how many rules and regulations there were here. If given the chance they would have hurt them both, and the realisation that they came very close to that made Jeongguk want to panic all over again.

"Hey — hey," jimins pulls away, undoubtedly feeling Jeongguk start to shake, placing his hands on Jeongguks shoulders and forcing the others eyes to meet his. "Calm down, you're perfectly fine, okay?" Jimin takes Jeongguks trembling hands and rubs them between his own. "You have absolutely nothing to worry about, I can call security and get them to do a periphery sweep if you'd like?"

Jeongguk shakes his head. "No, no uh — it's fine, I'm being dumb. I just, I just had a nightmare last night and then this today it just, shook me up a little — I'm okay,"

Jimin holds Jeongguks hands, staring into his eyes, slowly rubbing his thumbs over Jeongguks knuckles. Like he's searching for something, like he waiting for Jeongguk to start crying. Jeongguk doesn't, and jimin sighs, placing his hand on Jeongguks cheek and pulling him down to meet him. There's determination setting his eyebrows, his thumb swiping out over Jeongguks cheekbone and eyes dipping down to Jeongguks mouth. Jimin leans forward and their lips meet gently, tenderly, give Jeongguk something to focus on that isn't the pounding of his heart or his freezing cold nerves. Jimin kisses like the distraction he's trying to be, and Jeongguk falls for it so naturally it's a little embarrassing. Jimin slides a small hand up Jeongguks chest, over the ridges of his muscles, and then bunches in his shirt to pull him closer. Jeongguk tilts jimins head back with a hand on his jaw and pulls him forward with another on his hip, licking past jimins lips and making the other part them with a sigh.

By the time they're pulling away, nose against nose and panting, Jeongguks hands have stopped shaking, and his heart is beating wildly for wholly different reasons then it was before.

"Better?" Jimin asks, opening his eyes slowly to find Jeongguk already looking at him.

Jeongguk swallows, licking jimins taste off his lips, and nods. "Yeah — better,"