2.

ELLE'S POV-

"You know it would be polite to open the door for your guests who are currently dripping buckets of sweat from this heat", Alex shouted as I had just woken up and was sprinting to open the front door for her and Jen.

"It would be nice if you guys would, I don't know probably call before showing up. It's what? WHAT THE HELL ALEXANDRIA, it's 8:00 am. Who wakes up at eight in the morning on a Saturday?!".

I opened the door swinging it wide open, telling them to get anything they'd like from the kitchen to eat. My moms kitchen was always stacked with tons of food ever since I got here.

I ran upstairs quickly and turned on the shower so the water would be warm as they followed after me grabbing a hand full of snacks. I quickly brushed my teeth and washed my face over the white marble counter top in my bathroom. It was a pretty nice place. My moms fiance is loaded, so I got to live lavish for the short time I was here and I for one am not complaining. I quickly hopped in the shower as the girls were having a conversation about our whereabouts for today.

"What time are we going to the mall?", I shouted over the running water trying to get the girls attention.

"Well. We. Can. Stop. By. Starbucks. And . Have. Breakfast. And. Then. Head. To. The. Mall.", Jen shouted extra loud mocking me.

I turned off the shower and blow dried my hair which fell straight. I tied it into a high ponytail picking out little strands at the front to make it a natural messy look. I don't know, it was a weird thing I've been doing since I was little. I quickly tossed on a black skinny strapped cropped top and paired it with a grey and black plaid mini skirt and white Van's. I was pretty proud of my outfit choice. Digging through my jewelry box I took out my ring which I wore everyday, my dad had gotten it for me for my 16th birthday.

It was beautiful and custom made, it was my birthstone. Wine red stone on a gold band, it was simple yet stunning. It was the only piece of jewellery I had to remember him. I missed him a lot, but even more now because even though we had tons of memories when I was back in California when  he passed away, we had a lot more memories here in Miami where my mom and dad lived in for majority of our lives. Until five years ago when they separated.

Dad moved to California after their split and I stayed with mom for two years until the most earth shattering thing happened.

My dad had been fighting cancer for years before my parents split. It was a lot for our family and a lot for my mom which inevitably lead to their divorce. About three years ago, I moved to California to be with my dad because my grand mom called and said his health was deteriorating quickly. So I picked up everything and just left.

When I arrived he was far worse than I imagined. My dad couldn't get out of bed, there were tubes attached to him everywhere. He was barely awake. I really hated the hospital because anytime he was there it was never a good sign. It just meant that things were going backwards for him and not improving.

Every night for the past couple of days  since I'd been there, I cried because the doctors said that after his second round of chemo, things weren't looking promising. But I had to be strong for my dad. I couldn't let him see me sad. I went everyday and carried his favorite foods which were burgers and fries obviously, but he'd never finish them because he had lost his appetite.

I'd tell him stories of how my two years with mom was and we'd laugh,  a lot. I did everything I could to keep that smile on his face because I knew he was in an incredible amount of pain and I wanted it to stop.

One night, around 1 am, my Grandpa got a call from the hospital saying that we needed to come in. The hospital never calls that late unless it was something bad. Really bad.