13|New Beginnings

*Miles' POV*

4 months earlier

Waking up I felt a pounding headache. Last night was Troy's birthday party and I think I had too much to drink.

"Here drink this." Tessa said while handing up a cup of water and a pain killer. I had no idea why she was even here so early.

"What time is it?" I asked while running a hand through my hair.

"Ten." she said.

"What are you doing here?" I said taking the glass from her.

"You don't remember?" she said while looking down.

I remember I held a big birthday party for Troy since my parents were out of town. Troy, Tessa and I were partying hard. Everyone left after 12 including Troy but Tessa was too drunk to drive back home. My eyes opened wide when I remembered.

I had slept with Tessa.

How could I?

Realizing I had remembered she spoke up.

"You can't tell Troy about this."

"What, why not? He's my bestfriend he deserves to know. We don't keep secrets from each other. That's our rule." I said.

"So what? Do you think he'll ever forgive you for sleeping with his girlfriend? He's going to hate you forever and you know when Troy has a grudge about someone he takes it to his grave no going back." she said with a smug smirk on her face, not even looking guilty about cheating on him.

"He'll hate you even more. You're suppose to be his girlfriend."

"He wouldn't hate me because I would just simply tell him and the others that you took advantage of me when I was drunk and vulnerable. We all know your history with girls Miles. Who do you think they would believe sweet little Tessa or you."

I clenched fist trying not to do something I would definitely regret later.

"You better keep your mouth shut and do as I say Miles." she said then walked out my room.

...

Back to the present day

I clenched my jaw as I remembered the whole reason I couldn't be friends with Isabella. On the first the day of school Tessa had threatened me to reveal our secret to Troy and the others if I ever tried anything with her bestfriend or any girl for a matter of fact. She was making my life a living hell.

Troy has been my bestfriend for like forever and the last thing I wanted to see him be was hurt, especially if I was the main cause of it. Although I didn't know the others for that long, they were still my friends too.

I'd imagine if our secret got out everyone would be calling me 'that jerk who took advantage of his best friend's girlfriend'. Although it wasn't true people would've believed it because it wasn't that far off from my personality back then. I was just like Luke, probably even worse.

"Miles!" I heard as Isabella waved her hands in front of me.

I was thinking so much that I had forgotten we were working on a project. From ever since we had that fight or whatever it was she kept her distance from me. I mean she was doing what I told her I wanted but that wasn't what I actually wanted at all.

"Let's be friends." I blurted out.

"What?" she asked with a surprised look on her face.

I was tired of following Tessa's rules like a coward. I was done making her control my life like I was some puppet.

"Come with me. I have something to show you." I said as I grabbed my car keys and headed out the door. I didn't even wait to hear her response.

Not long after she trailed behind me and sat in the passenger's seat.

"Why now?" she asked giving me a serious look. I had never seen her look at me like that. She was always smiley and energetic.

"It doesn't matter. All that matters is that I do now." I said then turned on the engine.

"It does matter Miles. You kept reminding me of how much you didn't want to be friends and now all of a sudden you do. How do I know you won't change your mind and hurt me after I get attached?" she asked.

I can see where's she coming from. She was only trying to protect herself.

I looked her straight into the eye.

"I meant what I said yesterday. I don't play with feelings."

"But if we are going to do this, it has to be a secret for now." I added, still taking Troy's feelings into consideration.

"Why?" she asked. I forgot the part where she always needed an explanation.

"Just for now. Trust me." I said but she didn't reply. I know I was asking her for a lot.

The drive didn't take any longer than 10 minutes before we arrived.

I got out of the car and opened the door for her. As she got out she looked at me weirdly but I ignored her and started walking.

"Why are we at an old abandoned warehouse?" she asked. I chuckled at her question.

"Just follow me." I said as I opened the door and walked through the building then the exit.

"Wow this is beautiful!" she exclaimed with her eyes lit up as she looked around.

In front of us was a little pond with a cave enclosing it.

"How did you find this place?" she asked still looking amazed at the sight.

"Well, the warehouse was the first building my dad ever owned. After he got successful, he moved the business to a better building and gave me it. From ever since, I would always come here and take a break from reality." I said as I let out a loud sigh. "You're actually the first person I ever let come here. I don't know why I brought you here. Not even Troy knows about this place."

She gave me a smile then I realized what I had just said. I was probably scaring her off.

I allowed her to take in the view a bit more before I told her we had to leave.

The ride was silent but there was no tension between us.

"Tomorrow if you're not busy, I would like if we should spend the day together. We could get to know each other."

She looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Are you trying to ask me on a date?"

I choked on the water I had just started to drink.

She laughed. "I'm just kidding. I'd love that!" she said then gave me an unexpected hug before quickly jumping out the car.

I blinked a few times. Believe it or not I haven't had a hug in months. I forgot what it felt like to be hugged. It felt good even though it was just for a split second.

I shook my head then drove off.