Chapter 4

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE
Chapter 4: Big Cake, Happy Birthday

Yuhee

It's like having a routine: go to school, endure first half of the day, endure lunch time with Chaewon and Danbi, endure second half of the day, go home, have a chat with Binna or Peniel if I come across them, do my homework, hang out with Chaewon and Danbi (sometimes film TikTok), go home and continue homework, listen to music, sleep.

I just kept thinking that as long as I endured, this year would pass in a blink of an eye but I've blinked several times and it's just been a week.

Good thing there's no school today. My mom's out with her friends and I've been trying to ignore the notifications on my phone.

I was at peaceㅡuntil someone rang the doorbell. I dragged myself off the couch and paused the TV. Please don't be Chaewon and Danbi. I didn't have the energy to pretend today.

But when I peeked through the peep hole, it's Peniel.

I stared at the door for several moments until the doorbell rang again. I finally opened it.

“Hi!”

“Hi.” I said.

“Do you know how to bake a cake?” He asked. When I just stared at him, he added, “It's Binna noona's birthday. Do you think we should bake or buy her one?”

I was a little surprised that he thought about including me in this but I wasn't going to complain because if there's company I would like to have, it's Binna and Peniel’s.

* * *

We're baking Binna eonni a cake. I told Peniel I was familiar with baking because of Jayoon, who loves to bake, but I wasn't great. He said that'll do because he has ingredients at home already and it's important to have a cake.

Chaewon would lose her mind if she finds out that I've stepped inside Peniel's place. It looked pretty clean and homely. His parents were there in the living room watching TV. His dad's arm was wrapped around his mom's shoulder. It was a sight I grew up not being familiar with.

“Mom, dad, this is Yuhee. She's my classmate. She lives next door.” Peniel introduced me casually.

“Ah, you must be the new neighbor. How are you liking the town so far?” His mom asked.

“Boring, right?” Peniel asked.

I widened my eyes at him before replying, “It's really peaceful and nice.” I said. His parents were older than I expected.

“Right? It's a perfect place to retire once Peniel goes off to college.”

“Mom, before you ask her plans about college, we should bake a cake for Binna noona first.” Peniel said, grabbing my arm and pulling me with him to the kitchen.

“Right, it's Binna's birthday. Your dad and I will head out to get her a gift.” His mom said, getting up from the couch.

As Peniel and I were prepping everything, his parents passed by again, all dressed this time. “Be good, kids.” His dad said.

“Don't do anything we would do.” His mom said and I almost choked on flour.

“Ah, seriously.” Peniel said.

They laughed as they leave us alone.

“Sorry 'bout that.” Peniel told me.