Chapter 16

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE, PART III
Chapter 16: See Your Worth

YUHEE

My mom's case was being passed onto the local police in our hometown. I was utterly disappointed that being an adult meant that you still have to get up and go to work like everything in the world was alright even though you felt like your head would explode from trying to split your brain into two; to use it for your job and at the same time, worry about your personal life. I've always handled things well even when Park Goon and I broke up but this time, I was just out of it.

"Yuhee, are you listening to me?" Chaewon asked.

I blinked once, like coming out of a trance. "Chaewon, I'm so sorry." I fixed the papers on my desk table, printed samples of the wedding venue designs. "What was it again?"

"...Are you okay?"

I forced a smile, nodding. "Yeah! I'm fine. Sorry. I just... lack of sleep, I guess."

"You sure?"

I nodded.

Chaewon took a deep breath, not digging deeper into it. "Well, I asked if Peniel could do it. Have you asked him?"

"Oh, right. I need to follow up on that." I sighed, trying to put on a smile. "God, I swear, I was always on top of my game. I'm sorry. I'll organize things better."

"It's fine. It's... still a bit far from now. Besides, you're doing me a favor, trying to throw the perfect wedding in a short notice. My fiancée and I have already gone to other companies before Danbi mentioned you to me. They weren't accepting such wedding prep in a matter of few months. It's just making me anxious, you know. It feels far and near at the same time."

And man, she did look anxious. I still couldn't believe how soft spoken and elegant Chaewon had become. Imagine a Queen B in high school, those that thought nobody was better than them? That was the vibe Chaewon had back then. Now she's a changed woman.

It actually made me want to do better. "Don't worry. We'll make it happen."

"Thank you, Yuhee."

"But how is your standard when it comes to Italian cuisine? Tell me about your guests too."

* * *

PENIEL

Yuhee visited that afternoon. There were quite a lot of college students hanging out at the restaurant and she was sitting in the middle spot with her cheek laying on the palm of her hand as she stared off of nothing.

"Is that your girlfriend, hyung?" Seonho, the part time worker who's a high schooler that Sungjae had introduced to me, asked. It's his first day today.

I snorted. "No, why would you think so?"

"I'm sorry!" He said immediately, bowing his head. He's a kid full of enthusiasm. "It's just that... you've been looking at her since she came in."

"She's my friend."

"Aaaaaah," he said and it was long. "Then, why aren't you going to her?"

"Can't you see? We have a lot of customers. That's rare. Get to work."

"Yessir!"

When the customers slowed down, I was finally able to come out to see Yuhee. I brought her a whole pie of pizza. I didn't even take my apron off. I probably smelled like kitchen.