Preparations

TW: weapons, cursing

Virgil didn't even need to knock on Dr. Picani's door. It was already wide open, revealing a very disheveled doctor. "Oh," he looked up from his clipboard. "Virgil, come in, come in."

Virgil blinked as he sat down. "You look... overwhelmed."

"Yeah, I'm fine," Dr. Picani absentmindedly dismissed. "Just a lot of stuff to do in so little time. I feel like Glimmer at the beginning of season 4."

"...yeah," Virgil said. "So, uh, why am I in your office?"

Dr. Picani ran a hand through his hair. "I need to assess how well you can fight to determine which wave of the battle you'll be in."

"That..." Virgil paused, "...sounds like a lot."

Dr. Picani scoffed. "Oh, don't worry about me," his eyes fluctuated between their natural brown and supernatural pink and couldn't decide on a color.

Virgil narrowed his eyes. "Are you okay?"

Dr. Picani hummed. They chose brown. "O-Oh, yeah, it's just been a long week. I'm fine."

Virgil shook his head. "No, if you need to rest—"

"I don't," Dr. Picani interrupted. "Need to rest, that is. Slacking off is what got us into this mess. I must be swift as a coursing river with all the force of a great typhoon—"

"Cut the Mulan reference," Virgil said. "You don't need to... overexert yourself, Doc. I'm telling Logan to give you the day off."

"I appreciate your concern, Virgil," Dr. Picani said, nodding his head, "but we can't afford days off with the battle this close."

"Fine," Virgil said with a sigh. "You're the doc, Doc."

Dr. Picani chuckled. "Nice reference. I love that movie."

Virgil blinked. "No, I-I wasn't— whatever."

-~-

"You're off your game today, Lo," Remy remarked, twirling their knife.

"Just because I'm quite overwhelmed doesn't mean it's affecting my fighting abilities," Logan clarified.

"Uh huh, sure," Remy said, raising an eyebrow. "Which would explain why you definitely didn't lose the last three rounds."

Logan hesitated. "I'm simply conserving my energy."

Remy sighed. "Look, we all get it, girl. Fighting Janus and Remus brings up a lot of memories for all of us, but you need to High School Musical this bitch and get your head in the game if you want to win."

Logan furrowed his brow. "'High School Musical'. Is that the one with Zac Efron?" Remy nodded. Logan continued. "I believe I met him once."

"Yeah, we get it. You're famous," Remy rolled their eyes. "Listen, something that helps me is to remember who I'm doing this for."

"What would that accomplish?" Logan asked.

Remy scoffed. "It gives you a drive to keep going, I guess. Right now, all you're thinking about is the past. You need to think about the present."

-~-

"What did he mean by 'stay out of contact with Remus'?" Roman asked as him and Patton returned from their patrol.

"Well, I'm sure he just doesn't want you to get hurt, kiddo," Patton answered, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You know Logan would never wanna make you suffer."

Roman sighed. "Yeah, you're probably right. Speaking of, where is my boyfriend?"

"He said he was training with Remy today," Patton replied, "and Dr. Picani's probably really preoccupied, so..."