7: I will absolutely find him

He didn't think the photo would have any repercussions. He met Ye Bing without any trouble, got in the truck, and returned to Houlin with his first batch of goods. He hid the two packages under his bed, but Xia WanWan didn't find them.

With three days left in the holiday, Jiang Xiao dutifully read his schoolbooks and did worksheets as he'd planned, waiting for school to start.

But after he left Liujiang City, an unsettling event occurred.

The group of teenagers sitting in the coffee shop were looking through the photos in the camera. All the young people in this circle were from rich families. It wasn't like they'd never seen a camera before, but the new ones from abroad were still expensive. The image quality was obviously different, and the pictures looked good even if you took a snapshot out a window.

The owner of the camera was a girl named Lin RongJia, who wore a somewhat conceited expression. Her father was the general manager of Yongjiang Company. In this circle, her family was the wealthiest.

The camera was passed around to various people and then came back to her. There were a lot of admiring looks and words of praise. At first the seven or eight young people talked about the camera, but then the conversation turned to one person.

Lin RongJia's older brother*, Lin ChengYu—her cousin, to be precise—had just come back after going abroad for medical treatment. About a month ago he was in a minor car accident. It wasn't all that serious or life-threatening, but he fell and hit his head. He got a mild concussion and was knocked unconscious for a while. When he woke up, he seemed delusional, like he'd gone completely out of his mind. He kept mumbling about whether he was dreaming, rummaging all around, and bit his own hand so hard he even started bleeding. If you looked closely, you'd see his eyes were totally bloodshot.

The family was terrified. They thought it was brain damage and anxiously sent him to a foreign country for treatment. Although he seemed to return to normal pretty fast, Grandpa Lin still felt uneasy. He forced Lin ChengYu to stay abroad until his physical injuries were all healed.

The reason this was a topic of conversation wasn't because the story was especially bizarre, it was because of Lin ChengYu. At age fourteen, he was so good-looking he attracted attention everywhere he went. Whenever someone mentioned the Lin family, the teens would focus on Lin ChengYu. He was a first-class shining star on campus and hailed as the school grass. He was of mixed race and looked like he'd come straight out of a manhua, so the girls were always daydreaming about him.

Lin RongJia's attitude towards Lin ChengYu was complicated. On the one hand, he really was good-looking and brought her a lot of benefits in terms of school and friends. On the other hand, she was a little afraid of him and disliked him quite a bit.

"Let's not talk about him." She turned to her circle of friends and said, "He took a leave of absence. He won't be coming to school for a while."

Various teens let out sighs of disappointment.

After the get-together, Lin RongJia went home in a cheerful mood.

She played with her new camera in the study, copying photos one by one to the computer. She was planning to pick out some nice ones to enlarge them. There were some single photos of herself and a few good shots of the street. In the center of the park across from the café there was a large tree, but it so happened that a bus drove by, and the bus was captured instead.

The bus certainly wasn't very interesting. It was crowded with people, but the shot was crystal clear. Just as Lin RongJia was about to press delete, the door of the study pushed open. Her hand on the mouse froze for a moment.