21: I'm tired of talking about it

Lin ChengYu froze for a while, then his heart sank.

When he met Jiang Xiao after being reborn, he'd always taken the initiative. From the beginning when he pestered Jiang Xiao for a few words, to the end when he wanted to bring him to Liujiang. Jiang Xiao hardly needed a moment's thought to realize Lin ChengYu had come back.

"You mean that if I didn't remember, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic, right, XiaoXiao?"

"That was just one of the things," Jiang Xiao said. "There were other hints, too."

Jiang Xiao had an eye for detail. He often paid attention to little things, and he remembered a great deal from his last life. When he saw Lin ChengYu again, he grew more certain after comparing him to various things he'd seen.

People who've experienced a lot of things can't help being different from when they were young, no matter how they try to hide it.

For example, Lin ChengYu had lived in Liujiang for a long time. Although his Mandarin was standard, certain syllables couldn't help but be influenced by the local dialect. The "Lin" character of "Houlin" sounded a bit like "Ning" when he said it, which wasn't obvious at first. Later he went to Binhai City for a long time for business. Some of his pronunciation was gradually corrected and became very standard.

"Classmate, I'm looking for Houlin No. 3 Junior High."

When they met again in Houlin, Lin ChengYu said this to him when he pretended to ask for directions. His pronunciation of "Lin" was standard.

When Lin ChengYu graduated from university and first began his career, he started from the bottom. He worked hard, made outstanding achievements, and was promoted very quickly. But he was so busy that he developed a slight inflammation of his thumb tendon. Jiang Xiao found medicinal wine for him to rub into the joint, but Lin ChengYu didn't take good care of it. The condition improved only to relapse again. When he rose to a higher level, he didn't have to do so much basic work. However, because of that injury, whenever Lin ChengYu had things on his mind he would unconsciously rub his thumbs when his hands were folded.

These were acquired habits that Lin ChengYu shouldn't possess right now. If his overly enthusiastic attitude at their first meeting made Jiang Xiao suspect something might be up, everything else was proof.

Lin ChengYu wasn't aware of any of this. When he heard Jiang Xiao describe these things, his expression was surprised.

But Jiang Xiao remembered everything because he'd experienced it over time. After Lin ChengYu's business shifted to Binhai, the two people's lives began to separate. Lin ChengYu didn't come back for long periods of time. The change in his accent was just one of the things Jiang Xiao noticed. Jiang Xiao learned to cook several Binhai dishes for him just to accommodate his new preferences. His thumb injury was another thing he adapted to. Lin ChengYu never realized that in order to make him feel better, Jiang Xiao searched all over for various kinds of medicinal oil and specially learned massage techniques.

Even if the deep love Jiang Xiao once felt was worn away, the heart that used to observe Lin ChengYu so closely didn't easily forget. So much so that when Jiang Xiao saw him after his rebirth, he didn't need to pay special attention. He just saw these things, thought for a moment, and understood.

There were more than just these two small details. There were countless other things. He just didn't feel like giving another example.

He once treated Lin ChengYu better than himself. Jiang Xiao couldn't believe it when he remembered everything. All Lin ChengYu thought was that his life with Jiang Xiao was smooth sailing. Jiang Xiao was considerate and gentle. Lin ChengYu never realized that behind this consideration and gentleness was a love as deep as the sea backed by exhausting effort.