16: Today I'm proud of No. 3 Junior High

Programs to subsidize schools and students weren't unheard of. The Education Bureau had special funds for scholarships, and there were also alumni who gave back to their alma mater after they became successful. Although the overall amount wasn't much, top students received a few hundred yuan each semester. But the teaching director had never seen something like this. They not only wanted to transfer the student to another school, they also selected Jiang Xiao by name. The tuition, fees, and living expenses were all included, not only in junior high school, but also in the next three years of senior high school. They even wanted to send Jiang Xiao directly to college, but didn't need him to pay for anything. Wasn't that strange?

He thought Jiang Xiao must have been born under a lucky star and wanted to tell the fortune tellers to take some credit. Otherwise he couldn't explain it.

Of course Jiang Xiao knew the reason, but he wasn't about to tell the teacher about the grudges of his last life.

"I know, Mr. Li," he said. "Thank you for being concerned about me. I'll study hard in No. 3 Junior High."

Teacher Li, the teaching director, looked at him. A slight smile appeared on his serious face.

"Go to morning self-study and finish memorizing the lesson." He waved to Jiang Xiao. "Also, I'll take a closer look at your ranking in the monthly exam. Come talk to me when you're in the top 200."

Jiang Xiao: "... Teacher Li, you're asking a bit much."

He'd made great progress in the most recent mid-term examination and entered the top 500 of his grade. But the higher the ranking, the more difficult it was for him to advance. Jiang Xiao had only been studying hard for a few months.

"Don't be silly." The teaching director glanced at him. "If you think it's demanding, you should study harder. Don't be distracted by all this nonsense!"

He watched as Jiang Xiao ran to the door of Class 15. He stood in place for a while, then went back to the office with his hands clasped behind his back.

"So what happened?" Vice Principal Chen asked him.

"I sent him back." The teaching director reluctantly lifted his triangular-shaped eyes. His face was still drooping. It wasn't a good expression. "The child doesn't want to go. Don't force him."

The vice principal was unhappy with his stubbornness, so he began to lecture him. "He's never seen the world before. He's just a naïve student. Are you naïve, too? How can he refuse a thing like this? Go on and call him back."

The teaching director had been at this school a long time, and he didn't feel the need to back down to anyone. He sat motionless in his chair and stopped the head teacher who was ready to fetch Jiang Xiao. This time his tone was much firmer.

"This thing is completely up to him. If Jiang Xiao says he isn't willing, can't he make his own decision?"

Seeing that the two men were going to quarrel, Lin ChengYu stepped in.

"It's okay. I'd better talk to Classmate Jiang."

He was rejected from the start by Jiang Xiao. That was unexpected, and he was somewhat at a loss. He didn't know the right way to handle Jiang Xiao at this age.

Jiang Xiao had been to Liujiang twice, so he thought Jiang Xiao wouldn't have a problem with living there. But after a while, Lin ChengYu came up with some excuses for him.

"He's young and he can't accept leaving his hometown yet. He doesn't trust us, and that's normal," Lin ChengYu said with a sincere expression on his face. "I'm about the same age as him. This project came about because I proposed it. I'll go talk to him myself."