Exceptions and Exhausted

Charlie finds Poppy in a cupboard.

Her eyes are wide as she looks very deeply into a small bouquet of blue flowers. She has a tortured look on her face and her hair's a mess, sticking every which way. There's sweat on her brow, like she'd been running and her breathing labored. She bites her lip and her face turns tortured.

Charlie looks her up and down, taking in the mess that is Poppy. He sighs as he pinches the bridge of his nose. "Poppy, what's wrong?" She sniffles a bit, but doesn't say anything. Charlie crouches, meeting her head on. "Poppy." He says seriously.

She looks in his dark brown eyes begrudgingly, twisting one flower between her fingers. He reaches forward to place a comforting hand on Poppy's shoulder.

"Are you okay?" Charlie asks, his voice soft. "Did something happen with Lily?"

Poppy lets out an exasperated breath, her freaked mood gone. "Don't get me started."

Charlie grins. "Wanna tell me about it?"

She shakes her head. "Actually, I wanted to talk about Sirius?"

Charlie raises an eyebrow. "Is he why you're so freaked?"

Poppy nods. "You were right."

"I usually am, but why am I right this time?" Charlie takes a yellow flower from the pile and places it behind his own ear.

Poppy's eyes widen at the gesture, but she continues. "Sirius likes me."

Charlie looks at her dead faced. "You're surprised?"

Poppy huffs and hits his arm lightly. "You're supposed to be helping me, not making fun of me."

"I'm sorry." He apologizes. "Let's talk about this like adults."

Poppy quirks an eyebrow. "You're eleven."

He gives her a sarcastic grin. "And you're in a cupboard."

*✶⋆*★

         Lily found her sister in the Kitchens when she spotted Indigo Bloomsbury tickling a painting in the same spot Poppy disappeared. She followed through the open picture and caught a glimpse of red hair. She turned and paused when she saw Poppy.

Her body took up the entire beanbag, spread out like someone might steal it. Her hair looked a bit matted and her hair tie is barely holding on, grasping at the ends. She's still wearing the same clothes that they went to confront their parents with, now wrinkled and riding up to show off the pale freckled skin of her stomach.

Exhausted would be the appropriate adjective for Poppy.

Lily simply looks down at her sister for a moment and sits on a part of the beanbag that Poppy doesn't occupy. Lily leans back and lies with her twin.

"Don't think this means that you don't have to tell me anything." Lily sighs. "But I'll wait until you're ready.

*✶⋆*★

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. I'll try to update the next chapter sooner and hopefully longer one.