i - fresh start

song recommendation for this chapter :
poison ivy - the coasters

author's note : this is a super short introduction chapter but i promise the chapters will get longer

---

the alarm on my nightstand blared loudly. eyes half open i smacked it harshly making it just about slide off the smooth wooden surface. i just need 10 more minutes. 10 more minutes and i'll be mentally ready to face the day. about 5 minutes past and my older brother burst into my room.

"get ya lazy ass up. school starts soon."

his voice was low and gravely meaning he'd also just woken up. i waved him off proving i was awake and that i'd be up in a second. he scoffed and left the room. i heard him walk down to the kitchen and start the coffee maker, knowing full well the coffee was for me and not him. rubbing last nights makeup from my eyes i sat up and swung my legs off my bed. a long exasperated sigh escaped me as i remembered today was the first day of senior year.

my first year in a non-australian school.
oh lord.

before any worries about being at a new school set in i turned on the radio that sat on my dresser. with music flowing through my room, i was set to get ready for the day. after 30ish minutes i was dressed, had my stuff ready, with makeup and hair done. my look for today was simple but cute and sandy insisted i wear a long skirt to match her first day look. with everything ready i walked downstairs to greet my brother.

i found him leaning against the kitchen counter listening to the radio news report. as soon as i appeared in his line of sight he smiled gently. "oooh don't we look nice. tryin' to trick everyone into thinkin' you're all sweet?"
i scoffed at him. "yeah, might as well have some people fall for the sweet act so i can break their hearts later."
he laughed softly while grabbing the coffee pot and pouring some into a mug. he had already set creamer out on the table for me. handing the mug over he muttered something about how sandy would be over soon. i nodded already knowing this information and made a small bowl of cereal to eat while i waited for her.

about 10 minutes past and i had finished my cereal just in time for the doorbell to ring. "i got it!" i shouted but brother dearest was already at the door greeting sandy.
"sandy! how ya doin'?"
"oh, i'm doing just fine joey. how are you?"
i jumped into the conversation before joey could start talking about something boring. "we better get going." sandy simply nodded and moved away from the door to make room from me. joey nodded and kissed my forehead quickly.
"stay safe lil sis. if i get any calls from the school about you skippin'-" i cut him off,
"you'll send me back to australia alone, yeah i got that the first five hundred times. i'll be back around four. love you." and with that sandy and i jumped into her car and drove to the start of our new school year at rydell high.