xix - always together

song recommendation for this chapter: the gang that sang "heart of my heart" - the four aces

authors note: hello hello! after a long time, i have finally written again. please don't be mad at me for how this chapter ends. enjoy!

kenickie was released from the hospital a week or so later. his face healed back to its normal state of handsomeness, though occasionally his knees gave him pain causing him to limp. the gang all still hung out. just me, sandy, the t-birds, and the pink ladies. danny and sandy didn't actually ask each other out till around prom when danny's promposal doubled as asking her to be his girlfriend. kenickie and i occasionally accompanied them on double dates but...

we never officially dated.

everyone knew we liked each other, hell even we both knew, but neither of us ever asked each other out. despite that, everything was perfect. i even managed to get kenickie's grades up before final grading.

high school ended as quickly as it started. suddenly we were all finished with finals and at the school fair before summer officially kicked off. everyone was so happy but there was an air of sadness between all of us. since everything happened it felt like we were all on this sort of edge. today that didn't seem to be the focus though, it was about celebrating us! for not only surviving high school but for also surviving the shitty stuff we've had occur.

frenchy, rizzo, lori, and i all sat at a picnic table in the food area of the carnival waiting for everyone to arrive. sandy was supposed to arrive with the us but she said something came up and she'd join us later. as i sipped my all too sugary lemonade i pondered on what she had come up. "hey," i interrupted the other three's conversation, "what do you think sandy's doing?" in response, rizzo and lori giggled earning a confused look from me and frenchy. lori struggled to stop her laughter to ominously inform us, "she didn't tell you? she has a surprise. riz and i helped her with it!" my brows furrowed in confusing further at that answer. rizzo and lori helped her? why couldn't i help?

seeing my confusion, lori reached across the table laying her hand on top of mine. "don't worry! it's nothing bad, you'll like it. honestly it's more for danny though." now my eyes widened. a surprise for danny? "oh god she's not gonna show up in lingerie is she?" we all laughed at that. sandy is way too conservative to show up like that. frenchy and i continued spouting random ideas of what she could show up in as a surprise for danny, laughing the more the ideas got more ridiculous. frenchy eventually landed on the idea of her showing up as a sexy version of the beaver from the toothpaste commercial.

suddenly all the boys came back from whatever they were doing. for some reason sonny, putzie, and doody had whip cream on their faces. the three were mumbling about how much a kid named eugene sucks. danny and kenickie sat themselves between me and frenchy, both sucking on giant slushies. danny, wearing a new bright white rydell track team cardigan, detached himself from the straw first when he heard what frenchy and i were talking about. "who's gonna be a sexy bucky beaver?"
frenchy giggled, "sandy! she says she has a surprise for you!" she jokingly shoved danny but the light blushing on his face meant he was thinking of other surprises. i laughed at the two until kenickie caught my attention by placing a hand on my thigh.

"how's the carnival for you, doll?"
i hummed feigning ignorance at his hand touching me. "it's okay. how's yours?"
he shrugged, "not too bad. whatcha drinkin'?"
i glanced over at my half drank lemonade. "it's lemonade." i took a small sip in between sentences, "it's pretty good. really sugary though." he stared at my lips as i took another sip. "can i try it?" he asked leaning close. i went to hand him the cup but in a swift motion he captured my lips in a kiss, hand tightening on my thigh the longer the kiss went on.

"ew! you guys! no pda! that's so nasty!!" jan and marty yelled in unison while pushing me and kenickie apart giggling the whole time. i smiled at the two, "what? you jealous? i can kiss you guys too." jan laughed while marty's cheeks flushed before she laughed as well. "save it. i already kissed you at a slumber party." marty reminded me causing kenickie to raise a brow. "what? it was a dare." i defended myself while marty squished herself between us nearly causing me to fall off the picnic bench. "ya jealous kenickie? i kissed your girl~" she teased pinching his cheek between her index finger and thumb. he smiled harshly, "bite it, maraschino. go jack off to vince fontaine again." marty gasped smacking him lightly in the chest. her head snapped to me "you told him about that?!" i laughed, "no! but everyone knows you do it." she gasped dramatically again and shoved me off the bench.

conversations continued for a while all of us squishing onto the picnic bench or taking turns sitting on the table. suddenly a loud whistles broke our conversation apart. we all turned towards the noise and saw...

"sandy?"

there, dressed in all black, blonde hair poofy and curled, with bright red lipstick adorning her lips, was sandy. she walked over to us with a massive crowd of admirers behind her. she picked a cigarette from her pocket and lighting it. all of us looked in astonishment, well except for lori and rizzo and proudly stared at their work. danny clumsily stood. "sandy!" before he could say anything else, she pressed took her cigarette out of her mouth, "tell me about it, stud." he opened his mouth to speak again but no words came out. i let him stand there like an idiot for a minute before standing and slinging an arm over his shoulder. "what danny is trying to say here is, holy shit girl! you look amazing!"
the normal sandy appeared again giggling at my attempt to save her stupid boyfriend.

danny attempted to recover himself, "yeah...um...jeez." clearly the rough and tough t-bird was a modern day shakespeare. i patted the tongue tied man on the back and headed back to the rest of the group at the table. kenickie happily scooted over to make room for me. "so, doll, what's the plan for the summer?" 

silence fell for a moment as i thought. part of me always believed high school would last forever, but here we are. the end of senior year....

i answered his question with a shrug, "who knows? i'm just here for a good time. what about you nickie?" his answer ended up being the same as mine. maybe we can just make this moment last forever. 

suddenly, frenchie popped up from her place, "guys? do you think we'll all stay together?" it was a cliche question for sure, but it was cute none the less. we all paused, even sandy and danny, and looked around at each other. kenickie was the first to answer, "of course french. why wouldn't we?" i nodded, "even if we do split, we'll find our was back to each other." sonny booed, "cheesy!" putzie elbowed him, "don't be an ass." we all laughed and the conversations turned back to their playful subjects. 

they were idiots, all of them.

but...

they were my idiots. 

that was the last time.

the last time i saw the pink ladies and the t-birds.

the last time i saw kenickie murdoch.