iii - pep rally

song recommendation for this chapter :
happy days and lonely nights - connie francis

--

the final bell rang meaning we were all free to leave for the day. except not really because we were all coming back later tonight for the pep rally and bonfire. sandy was apart of the cheer team so she quickly dropped me off at home and then went back to school to practice.
some hours later, rizzo was outside my house honking the car horn like crazy.
"what the hell are you doin' here?" i asked her since i planned on skipping the pep rally and sandy knew that.

"aw come on. you can't skip your first and only pep rally at rydell. it'll be fun i promise." in that short sentence, she had convinced me and i hopped into the back of the car with all the other girls.

"wait. how the hell do you know where i live, riz?" i just met this chick today how could she already know my address even though i never told her.
"i have my ways, hun." she winked at me and drove off to the rally.

we arrived at the rally and parked next to a black car which had a bunch of men in black leather jackets pop out of it. they were the 't-birds' according to the backs of the jackets, and apparently the pink ladies knew them. frenchy introduced me to them all.
"there's sonny, doody, putzie, and kenickie."
i greeted all of them quickly more interested in looking around the rally and seeing sandy. one of the boys did not take too kindly to that. he grabbed my chin between his thumb and index finger and moved it so i looked at him. he was tall, with greasy dirty blond hair and bright blue eyes.

kenickie.

"whatcha lookin' at kid? you got somethin' better to do?"
i looked up at him with visible surprise. i didn't expect someone i'd just met to grab my face. the pink ladies, however, acted like this was nothing new. rizzo simply scoffed. "kenickie. get off the poor girl. she's new."
slowly, kenickie took his eyes off me and looked at rizzo. "mind ya own business. go back to kissin' your girlfriend, riz." he said with a smug smile. he did let go of me though. instead he looked down at me and laughed slightly. "you don't talk much."
my brows furrowed in confusion. this man has known me for two whole seconds. how does he know how much i do or don't talk?

"maybe i just don't wanna talk to you, nickie." i replied putting extra emphasis on the shortened version of his name.

"it's kenickie, and everyone talks to me."
"i know. maybe i'm the first to not."
"well you are right now."
he smiled that smug smile again. i mean he's not wrong. whatever. i just rolled my eyes at him and walked back over to the girls. after a bit the coach got up on the podium and went into a pep talk about how they were gonna slaughter the opposing team. i left the girls after his speech and watched sandy do the final cheer around the bonfire. she was free from the cheer team afterwards and ran over to me. "isn't this so fun!"
"yeah it's pretty cool. meet anyone new?"
"i met a football player. he's real nice."
she smiled sweetly as she spoke about him, but before we could continue the conversation rizzo called us over.
"i gotta surprise for ya, hun." she said while grabbing sandy by the wrist and pulling her over to the cars we were at earlier. another car was there though. a red one.

catching up with them, nothing seemed new. just everyone who was there before except who's that black haired man talking to kenickie? he's got a t-birds jacket too so they must know each other. rizzo seemed to know him as she dropped sandy's wrist and tapped the mysterious man on the shoulder. he quickly turned around and the initial annoyance on his face from being disrupted turned into a happy surprised face when he saw sandy.
"sandy!"
sandy looked equally as happy and surprised.
"danny!"
"wha- what are you doing here, i thought you were moving back to australia?" he asked slightly stumbling over his words.
"we were but we had a change in plans!"
she seemed so genuinely happy to see him and he did too...until he noticed the boys behind him. immediately his demeanor changed.
"that's cool baby, you know how it is, rockin' and rollin' and what not."
what the fuck was that? sandy was just as confused as me as her brows furrowed.
"danny? what's the matter with you? what happened to the danny zuko i met at the beach?" she asked as if the person in front of her was completely different from the one from two seconds ago and had been replaced by a clone.
"i don't know. maybe there's two of us. try putting out a missing persons ad or try the yellow pages." he laughed at his own terrible joke while sandy was genuinely hurt.

"you're a fake and a phony and i wish i never laid eyes on you!" she yelled and ran off.

her yelling left all of us in shock. as long as i had known sandy, she was soft spoken and never raised her voice. so that means this jerk with obscenely greased up hair had truly hurt her. regaining my train of thought and my surroundings i looked up at danny who looked at me with a mix of confusion and fake cockiness. "bastard." was all i said before turning and running after sandy, and frenchy followed along.

we found her by the bleachers crying softly. i handed her my handkerchief from my pocket to dab her eyes while frenchy tried to comfort her talking about how men are just amoebas on fleas on rats. after a bit more talking sandy felt better and thanked us for being there. "hey! why don't you come over to my house for the pink ladies sleepover!" frenchy suddenly proposed surprising the both of us. "please? it'll be so fun!" fine. you can't say no to frenchy. she's just too cute. sandy and i both agreed and drove home to get our stuff. after we were both ready we headed over to frenchy's.