ix - janitor's closet

song recommendation for this chapter : a boy without a girl - frankie avalon

author's note : sorry for the long break. i hit a wall with writing and my life has been a mess to say the least. i kept my promise and made this one longer (2,164 words!)  enjoy :]

-

i'd have to guess a few hours passed as when my face finally lifted from the pillow, it was sunset and joey was coming home from work. "what's up, buttercup." he greeted as he kicked the door closed with his dirty sneakers.
"joey, how many times do i have to tell you not to kick the door closed with your dirty ass shoes?" i sighed annoyed and plopped my face back into the pillow. he simply scoffed at me as he started setting things down on the kitchen counter. "what's your problem?"  i sat up lazily on the couch to reply.
"boys fucking suck."
joey went quiet for a second. "ah. i have no experience with boys...other than the fact that i am one. maybe call sandy?" he scratched the back of his neck, obviously feeling awkward. i sighed again. he's obviously tired from work and not wanting to be the therapist for all my boy problems right now. a barely audibly 'yeah' was all i managed to respond with. i went upstairs to my room without another word and shut the door behind me.

in a daze of my own thoughts i changed into pajamas and fell into my bed. but sleep didn't come, no matter how much i wanted it to. i just stared up at the ceiling of my bedroom.
why did danny try to kiss me?
why did kenickie?
why did neither of them actually go through with it?
why do all my questions start with why?
i groaned and sat up to look at my alarm clock.
12:32 am.
i have to be up in 6ish hours for school.
school....
...with kenickie...
...and danny...
...and sandy.
i got to talk to someone about this crap.
without another thought, i went downstairs to call rizzo. she'll know what to do, right?

the phone rang a few times before rizzo's tired, gravely voice came through. "hello?"
"hey riz. i know it's late but uh can i talk to you about something?"
"sure. i'll be over in 10 to pick you up. we can go get a coke and talk at the swing set by the drive in movies. okay?"
"okay."
"k. see you soon hun."
and that was that. only rizzo would answer the phone in the middle of the night and immediately come to pick you up. she's got a tough exterior but she really can be sweet. i owe her a shake from frosty's. the cherry one that's her favorite.

about 10 minutes later, headlights appeared in the driveway. i quietly snuck out of house and lightly clicked the door shut behind me. once in rizzo's car, she immediately began driving to the nearest gas station to grab 2 cokes and chips. neither of talked till we were at the swing set with the snacks. she popped open the coke and broke the silence. "so, what's up?" i inhaled deeply and popped open my coke.
"okay. anything i say can't leave this swing set."
"yeah yeah got it. now come on. what's wrong?"
with a quick swig of my coke, i began telling her everything.

"holy shit. zuko is such an asshole!" she exclaimed once my story was finished. for some reason, i jumped to defend danny. "well he probably didn't know i like kenickie. plus nickie probably doesn't even like me!"
rizzo stifled a laugh. she wanted to tell me
something but didn't want to. "kenickie is the least of our issues. you gonna tell sandra about zuko?" i sighed deeply. which i've done a lot today. "i don't know. should i?" she thought about it for a second before replying.
"it's up to you. on one hand, danny and sandy aren't actually dating, so it shouldn't really matter. on the other hand, i'd want to know if lori almost kissed someone but then again, lori and i are actually dating. so ya know, it's kinda different for us. sorry, hun. i'm never the best about this stuff."
hm. she's not wrong. they aren't technically dating. it should be okay to tell her.
"no, no, no. riz, thank you. you gave me a lot to think about. but enough of me, tell me about what's up with you."
we talked and snacked till sunrise.
it was so fun and nice.