Chapter Thirty

“I found a way down.” Michel yelled over to the others.

The others had huddled around Arya. She was awake but in a lot of pain. Everyone spoke excitedly.

“I think one of my ribs is broken.” Arya rasped.

“You’ll be lucky if that’s all that he did.” Katniss said.

“Nice shooting.” Arya smiled.

“You’re the one who did the damage. I missed.”

“You didn’t miss. You got his arm. It provided me with just the right distraction.”

“I was aiming for his temple!” Katniss laughed.

“It was nice to see you with your bow.” The excess nervous energy was making Binny’s smile wider than usual. “Nice scavenging.”

“And you too Binny. I can’t believe you did that?” Arya was having trouble getting the words out, but she was so pleased with her victory that she didn’t want to stop talking.

“What, how I threw my body at him so he could thump me? I can’t believe I did that either.” Binny laughed. “But I think I got away luckier than you did.”

“Enough chitchat, we need to find help for Arya. This adventure has been quite exciting, but it’s time to act more grown up.”

Binny bit her tongue, as she agreed that Arya needed attention.

“Did you hear me? I found a path down to the beach.” Michel insisted.

“Can you make it?” Katniss said.

“I may need some help.” Arya said.

“Let’s hurry. I don’t want any more stray fighters coming over here to try and kill us if no one minds.” Hermione said.

Hermione and Michel helped Arya down the narrow path that hugged the side of the cliff. They had to walk sideways as the path was too narrow for them to fit across. The path had been well camouflaged by some scrub at the edge of the cliff.

Katniss and Binny followed behind.

“You’ve led us on quite the interesting adventure today.” Katniss smiled gently.

“You mean by almost getting us killed several times?”

“Yeah. That.”

Binny smiled too.

The beach was all rocks, and crashing waves. Everyone tried not to get too wet, but it was hard to avoid entirely.

“So what’s your plan now?” Hermione asked. “Arya’s tired. I don’t know how much longer she can go. We need to get her back home.”

“I know.” Binny said. “I’m hoping if we go far enough it will get us around the fighting and we can continue on to whatever we’re being kept from.”

“Being kept from? Are you kidding? You still believe they’re hiding something from us?”

“I think that’s why they call them the Keepers.” Binny said resolutely.

“They call them the Keepers, because they keep the Stacks organized and running.” Hermione said as if that was the last word on the topic.

Binny took a deep breath. “They call them the Keepers, because they’re keeping us from the truth.”

Arya groaned.

“Let us stop for a moment and rest.” Michel suggested.

“I think that’s a good idea.” Katniss agreed.