Chapter Twelve

"You certainly look chipper this morning." Hermione said as they walked through the Secret Garden towards the exit.

"I had a good night's sleep I think." Binny said, keeping her poem safe and hidden in her pocket.

But Binny thought about Hermione's comment. Binny really did feel exceptionally good this morning. She felt healthy, and alive. Bristling with energy.

"Well maybe you'll surprise us and spend a second evening in a row with us as well, instead of running off to some fusty little cabin in the woods," Hermione said.

"Our Binny is full of surprises," Katniss said.

Arya had bounded ahead and was through the wooden door and into the hallway, holding it open with her sword for the others. Binny went next, her eyes immediately scanning for Michel. And sure enough, there he was.

Katniss and Hermione made it through the door just in time to see Binny waving at Michel and calling him over.

"Michel. I have something for you."

Binny was so focused on getting Michel's attention that she didn't notice the crowd parting to her left. But the other girls noticed. Three was walking towards them. His hair was a darker shade of gray than the rest of him except maybe his eyes. If his appearance had contained more contrast, his hair and his eyes would likely have been jet black. Or at least it seemed that way.

As he walked, the dense crowd in the hallway made a wide berth and watched. For his part, he looked sad but determined. Like he was doing something distasteful but necessary.

Binny still hadn't noticed Three approaching and was motioning to Michel excitedly. But Michel had stopped in his tracks when he saw Three marching towards them. Marching directly towards Binny.

Hermione hissed in Binny's ear, "What did you do?"

Startled by Hermione's tone, Binny jerked around just in time to see Three stop just a foot in front of her. Binny's eyes went wide as she suddenly realized all eyes were on her, and one of the Keepers had come specifically to meet her.

Hermione's words echoed in Binny's head as Binny too asked herself, what did I do?

Three didn't say anything. His eyes looked sad. All he did was put his hand out, his palm facing upward.

The silence in the usually bustling and cacophonous hallway was thick and oppressive. Binny could feel it in her throat and it made it difficult for her to breathe.

Three nodded gently to Binny again and left his hand out. Waiting.

Binny thought about the paper in her pocket. The paper with her poem. The poem for Michel. Michel who was standing a few feet away watching her humiliation. The paper. It was clearly what Three wanted.

Binny haltingly reached her hand into her pocket and pulled out the folded page from the register.

Three nodded affirmatively.

Binny reluctantly dropped the sheet into Three's palm. And in an instant, he had shuffled his hand into his loose garment and the page had disappeared. The hand was back after only a brief absence. But now it was empty.

Binny held her breath.

Three paused, raised his eyebrow knowingly at Binny, and wagged his index finger ever so briefly. Binny got the message. Then after a moment, Three ruffled Binny's hair playfully. All appeared to be forgiven.

And then before Binny could process what had just happened, Three was gone. The surrounding people all took one last sympathetic and humiliating look at Binny and continued on their way. The noise levels in the hallway returned to normal. Michel was nowhere to be seen. He'd disappeared into the crowd. Binny was alone on an island with her three friends and Hermione's disapproving look cut into her like a scalpel.