Chapter Thirty-Five

The next seven days felt like the longest of Binny’s life. Getting everyone geared up for using the lectern a few days earlier, only to have their hopes dashed had taught Binny a hard lesson about setting expectations. She wanted to make no mistakes this time.

Each day, teams of characters who had been gathering at Misselthwaite took turns monitoring the bottommost floor of the Library. Most of them weren’t even aware of its existence. Binny knew though.

She often thought of the fire room – One had described it as ‘where forgotten creativity comes to return to the source’. Binny thought of it as the room where characters went to their fiery death. 

No matter how Binny thought of it she was sure of two things. The first was that the key in her pocket would open that door. The second was that under no circumstances did Binny want to run into One or any of the Keepers down there. It was simply too close to the fire. Binny didn’t completely understand what the protocols were for someone ending up there, but she didn’t want to take any chances.

After seven days of monitoring, the whole group sat down in the great room at Misselthwaite and reviewed the pattern they’d witnessed.

“It’s once a day. Right after work, and before dinner. One goes in. Talks for ten or fifteen minutes. She then makes her exit, locks the door, and doesn’t return until the exact same time the next day.” James said.

“Did you see the key?” Binny asked hopefully. She was certain that she had the right key, but a little extra confirmation would be nice.

Her majesty’s secret service agent responded. “Afraid not. None of us got a good look”

“And she talks in there? Can you hear what she’s saying?”

“I listened at the door.” Elphaba said. “I couldn’t make anything out.”

“What if she’s talking to someone in there. We could show up only to find some prisoner she’s been keeping locked away for who knows how long.” Victor said.

“I’ll handle whoever’s in there.” Arya said with a glint on her eye, and her hand on the hilt of her sword.

Everyone laughed.

“Honestly, it didn’t sound like a conversation. It sounded like she was reading aloud.” Elphaba said.

Binny thought for a second. “I think we’re ready. We’ll start tomorrow night. Everyone should get some sleep. We’re not gonna get much for awhile.”

¤

Binny and the others had shown up at dinner so as not to raise suspicion. But as soon as it was over, not too soon of course, but ‘normal’ soon, they headed back to the library in small groups.

After dinner, Binny and the others made their way to the Library. It didn’t take long to find a copy of Alice in Wonderland. As usual, when it came to books, the Library was incomparable at giving you what you were looking for.

After a set of pre-arranged signals, teams of two and three adopted their standard formations and circled, keeping a lookout as Binny, Katniss, and Arya, descended into the bowels of the Library. Worried that people might be suspicious, Binny held Alice close as she moved.

Binny walked quickly but quietly on the stone steps that led to the door. She tried hard not to think about the huge fire burning just twenty feet away. Lancelot had confirmed that One was long gone from the room. Binny approached the door and fished for the key out of her pocket.

Binny wasn’t sure what to say exactly, a prayer perhaps? Who would she be praying to? Binny decided just thinking positive thoughts was best.

Binny produced the bronze key with the ivory handle from her pocket. It looked like no key she’d ever seen. She was lucky that she’d even recognized what it was. Suddenly Binny wondered if she’d made a mistake even thinking of it as a key. Her failure to find the lectern on her first try loomed large on her mind.