Chapter 16

When Delilah had the first scan in her pregnancy, I was scared just like anyone would be as a first time parent. I was also scared that this might mean I'll never be able to go back home again. I tried talking to Delilah about it before, trying to arrange everything. She demanded that I stay with her and that Australia is too dangerous. I didn't see how. We would literally just be going to stay with my family every now and then. Was it too much to ask. 

At the 20 week mark. I was more scared that we didn't have everything we needed set up already. We had clothes, we had nappies. All of which Delilah insisted she kept in her room. The scan that showed our healthy little baby to us made me so happy. I wanted to keep and protect the life I saw in front of me. There was a downside to it too, I didn't think Delilah was mentally stable. She's been talking to herself. She's been sitting in her room for hours on end a day. It worried me. 

Her attitude with me was hot and cold. One minute she'd be all over me, saying how she needed me and how could she ever repay me for helping her. The next she'd be throwing plates at me, only for them to crash and break against the wall behind me. She'd swear and shout at me, saying that this is all my fault. I don't see how it's my fault if she was the one who forced me to get her pregnant with drugs and putting a hole in the condom. 

"How about making Anders' old room into a nursery?" Andrea suggested. I looked over at her. Is she sure? It was the only thing that tied her to her family here. "Yes I'm sure. I think a baby will need it more than Anders. Besides Anders isn't coming back and I want to get this house ready to sell to someone else." Andrea explained. That day we went out and got the supplies. Delilah insisted that I took her card and pay for stuff. She didn't want me to spend my money when her Dad is paying for most of the stuff. I felt a little guilty spending what wasn't mine but it got the job done. 

Søren and I stood outside of the van we rented next to the trolley full of stuff from the store. "Crib?" he asked. I lifted the flat pack box into the back of the van and nodded. "Changing table?" he asked. I nodded putting that into the van as well. "Bottles, more nappies, more clothes and bottle steriliser?" he listed off the items and one by one I added them to the van. "Paint, decorations, soft toys, crib mattress, bookshelf and I think that's it," he said. I thought so too.

"Oh yeah, rocking chair," Søren said eyeing up the last box. Time to get all this home and get to work. "Ready for hard work?" he asked. I nodded. Driving home was going to be the easiest part of the day. Andrea said she'd get Delilah out of the house while we work on putting the nursery together but I wanted Delilah to choose the colour. We took out the gilded letters on the door and started dismantling the furniture. We made sure that any clothes or items that Anders left behind got packed into a box and given to Andrea. 

I walked down the stairs and looked around for Delilah. "Lilah!" I called out hoping to gain her attention. She came down the stairs. "Hey handsome," she called out in return. Oh god why? Why is she doing this now of all times? "What have you been doing today?" I asked her. She better not of been doing anything too strenuous. "The usual, school work, yoga, talking to my Mother." Delilah responded with some hand movement. 

"What is your Mom like?" asked Delilah. I felt myself stiffen up and I smiled to throw her off. She wasn't causing any problem with asking me that. "She's wonderful. She does everything she can for me and my siblings. There's nothing bad I could say about her. She really is a perfect Mum." I spoke. I missed my Mother more on certain days and I guess now's one of them. 

"Must be hard being away from her for all these years," Delilah spoke softly for once. These hormones during pregnancy are really doing something. "It is. She's a whole time zone away so I don't get many calls but I send her letters every chance I get." I responded. Speaking of letters, I need to send her another one with the latest update and the newest scan. 

"Since we have the day to ourselves, how about we do something?" I asked Delilah. I was trying to stop her asking such probing questions. I wasn't ready to talk about everything with her. I haven't even mentioned her name to my Mum. I've just said to my Mum that the girl or just talking about the pregnancy. I felt uncomfortable with the amount Delilah obsesses over me. I think she's delusional because she keeps making stuff up and telling people I did things when I didn't. Maybe working from home wasn't good for her.

"Do what?" she asked with a raised brow. I left for a second before coming back in clothes I didn't care about. "Follow me," I responded. I led her up the stairs and into Anders old room. "We spoke about having a nursery for the baby," I remarked. I hoped that this would take up all her attention and I could finally have a day where I could see if I could bond with her. I heard her gasp in realisation at whose room this belonged to. 

"What about Andrea? Did you ask her?" she asked me. There was a worried look on her face. I found that quite strange. Why would she care that it was Anders' room? Normally she wouldn't think twice about it. "She gave me permission the other day. That's why she and Søren are out today. It's so we can have bonding time." I explained. I thought it was pointless to mention that it was Andrea's idea. Andrea will just say it herself when the nursery is finished. 

"Do I get to choose the colour?" she asked looking at the cans of paint. I bought three different types of paint. A blue, a pink and a grey. "So what are you thinking?" I probed for an answer because she was taking a long time to decide. That or she was just forgetting to speak. "Pink accent wall and the rest grey?" she said in a questioning manner. Great. 

That means on the wall that there's pink, we can put the crib and work things out from there. We ended up with splotches of pain all over us. Delilah even purposely paint a heart on me. I guess spending time with her alone wasn't too bad when she wasn't asking me if we can be in a relationship all the time or complaining that another girl is talking to me. 

Wait until she finds out about Emma. That is not going to go down well. "Let's go down and let this room dry," I tried to coax her out of the room. It was harder than I thought due to Delilah wanting to make sure she got every possible spot in this room. I brought her back downstairs and decided to put on movies to distract her. 

I got a text that Andrea and Søren were going to be home soon so I decided to order some takeaway. "What's this?" Delilah asked as soon as Søren and Andrea came round the corner. I noticed the bags in their hands. "Our gift to the little one," Søren spoke. I think Delilah missed the wink that Søren sent me. So it was the clothes and small items that we picked up while we were shopping for the nursery. 

Both of them sat down and sighed in relief. Good acting you guys. Not suspicious at all. "Thank you," Delilah thanked them. It was weird seeing Søren acting so nice to Delilah. I bet it must've felt weird for him too. "I'll dish up dinner," I spoke hearing the doorbell ring. 

"Søren?" Delilah questioned after we finished dinner. It was like she had never called Søren by his name before. It sounded strange coming from her mouth. Our conversation about being in the last year of school had died down. "Why did you come here?" she asked him. I knew why he did. He came because his parents wanted him to get a good education. 

"I killed someone," Søren stated dryly. I saw the mischievous twinkle in his eyes and the smile threatening to ruin that straight face. A moment passed and Delilah emitted a small squeak. We all laughed that thought about it so seriously. 

"No, no, I'm here because my parents wanted to send me to a a good school that will teach me everything I need." Søren responded after a minute. Going to give the poor girl a heart attack with humour like that. "No fights? It was a 'just because' reason?" Delilah asked warily. Did she honestly think that Søren was the type of guy to start fights? Just because he looked slightly intimidating. It was only because he was quite shy at making friends. 

Søren laughed. "Not as exciting as I may look." he said. I watched as he got up to take the bags of baby stuff upstairs. It was his excuse of leaving the room without raising suspicion. I went with him might as well take this opportunity while I can. 

"How are we going to set this nursery up without Delilah sticking her nose in?" Søren asked me. I know it was going to be difficult. There's only so much Andrea can do to distract Delilah. I shrugged. We'll think of doing it some way or another. 

"We'll wing it." I responded. That was all I had to say because I didn't know either.