Chapter 40

I locked up at the garage. It's taken me quite some time after the stitches being taken out for me to feel like myself again. "Adrian?" asked a voice. I turned around and saw a woman and two kids. "Yes who's asking?" I asked. I was on the defensive. The lady stepped forwards, her kids hiding behind her legs. She looked really young.

"It's Melina, Adam's ex-wife," she spoke. I saw one of her kids poke their head out from behind her. Rosie. I smiled. "Yes, yes, I'm glad to see you're doing well now," I muttered. She shifted her weight from one foot to another. I could tell she was still nervous. I couldn't blame her after what Adam did. She's definitely looked younger than she did when I first saw her. 

"I'm sorry for asking but how old are you?" I asked. I didn't want to offend her. "Uh, 28." she responded. She looked down at the floor. I was horrified. He'd prayed upon someone who was so much younger than himself. She old enough to be my sister. "Adrian, I hope I didn't intrude," she started. 

I shook my head. "It's fine, I was just closing up. Is everything okay?" I reassured her that it was fine. Rosie finally came out from behind her Mother and hugged my legs. "I just wanted to come by and thank you for what you did. I needed to know if you were alive after his attack. I also wanted to know how you knew." she spoke so quietly, it was hard for me to hear her. I guess I could tell her. She needed to know what she got dragged into. There was so much she wanted to know.

"It's complicated. You see he was married to my Mother years ago. He'd abuse me and my siblings to hurt her. So I knew immediately when I saw your children and then you with your bruise. I knew that he was hurting you and I needed to step in. How did you end up in that situation anyway?" I tried to keep it brief and to the point. 

She opened her mouth to talk and then shut it again. "He originally had all this money, promised to help out with college funds and boasted about how he overcame difficulties in his life. To be honest, I was manipulated and I fell for it. I then couldn't leave because he got me pregnant. I don't regret having Rosie and Jake but I regret the life I let them be brought into." she explained. I knew she must've felt sorry for herself. To be with someone like that so young. 

You, yourself were in a relationship like that Adrian. 

I shuddered at the thought of Delilah and her controlling ways. "I understand. I actually had my child through a toxic relationship, she was a bit like Adam in a way," I tried to sympathise with her problem. Rosie made grabby hands at me and I picked her up. Silence fell upon us. Was that too much? It looked like she was thinking of what to say. 

"Well as you can see, I'm alive. Still in recovery so I'm only allowed to do paperwork," I murmured gesturing towards the garage behind me. Melina laughed. "I'm happy to see that Adrian, I do regret not being able to do more than call the police." she muttered thinking back to that night. I was grateful that she called the police. 

"Take it easy Melina. It took me years to find someone who taught me how someone who actually loved me would act. I'm sure you'll end up finding someone like that." I mused. The thought made me feel happy. Nat was truly an angel for doing so much for Naomi and me. Melina and I exchanged numbers. "How did you find this girl? Was it hard?" she asked. I smiled softly. It was hard yeah, I was insecure about myself. I was insecure about having a baby and not being wanted. 

"I just thought of what a friend said to me. Eventually, you'll get your second chance. You've just got to wait for the right time," I advised her. Just like Andrea told me. Second chances will show up, you just have to be willing to be patient. I looked at the time on my phone. It's already nearly dinner time. I need to get home. Otherwise Nat's going to get mad.  

"You should get going, it's getting late and I'm sure the kiddos need some food." I urged her to go home. She needed to rest. 

I placed Rosie down and watched as she took hold of her Mother's hand. "I can call you if I need help?" she asked unsure of her own question. I nodded. "Call me to look at your car, hang out with my half siblings or even if you want to talk." I remarked. Melina nodded. "Thank you again Adrian. You really are a good guy. I hope your girlfriend knows that." Melina spoke and she bid me farewell before walking off. 

Getting my phone out, I texted Nat. 

'I'll be on my way home. Just had to talk to someone, I'll explain when I get home.' 

I hoped that was going to be enough of an explanation. I finally got home not an hour later to Nat standing at the front door with her arms crossed and her foot tapping the floor in impatience. I smirked at the sight. Definitely a Mother's reaction. 

"Nat!" I cooed walking up to her. She dragged me in by my good arm, shutting the door forcefully. "Explain why you are home late. Doctors barely signed you off for being fit for work and already you're coming home late." she reprimanded me. I could tell she was more worried than angry. 

"Melina, Adam's newest wife, came to thank me. Adam was going to kill them and me. She was the one who called the police to come to the address. If it weren't for her I don't think I'd be standing here talking to you and seeing your gorgeous face," I remarked. Nat's eyes welled with tears. It was still uncomfortable for me to think about. I didn't plan on almost dying when going for a seemingly innocent meet up. 

Natasha took a deep breath to calm herself down. "I'm just worried okay." she spoke lowly. I embraced her in a tight hug. "I know you are, love, I know. I was worried too about what Adam was going to do to you. He seemed to know everything about Naomi and you." I said. I tried to comfort her the best I could. 

"Melina might end up calling because I offered to look after her car or meet up so I can see my siblings," I murmured. It's better to say it now than have her question it when I get a random phone call. Nat smiled. "So that's unexpected." she muttered. I nodded in agreement.

Nat pulled me in to the dining room where the food laid on the table. It looked simply mouthwatering. I'll never ceased to be surprised at how yummy Natasha manages to make everything look. "What matters, is you eating and resting," Nat remarked, her voice stern. I laughed before sitting down and dishing up a plate full of food. I looked around for Naomi. 

"She's at your Mum's." stated Nat sitting down beside me. I grabbed her hand and gently squeezed it. "Thank you for the food Nat. I love you," I spoke. Nat smiled and squeezed my hand back. 

"I love you, you big oaf," she mused kissing my cheek.