CHAPTER 6 | Warring (Y/N)

"You heard me say a broken contract correct?" I met Xiao's eyes, "At the beginning of the Archon War, I fought my way to be placed and crowned as one of the Adepti of the Geo Archon. Long before he called upon the Yakshas. He provided me a family among the mortals of Liyue Harbour which was only a small fishing village at the time. But when the war started to grow out of Morax's own control, we decided to split the land of Liyue between us upon a contract which we protect that piece of land with our lives. I trusted him more than anyone at the time since a contract was a contract,"

By this time, Xiao has refused to look at me, "By the time the devastation was finally recognised and a breather in the war had opened, I realised that Liyue Harbour has been reduced to ashes. I couldn't find the bodies of my human family anywhere. But I protected Qingce Village and they are safe until today," I paused for a few seconds, the painful memories flossing my head and making it throb, "Morax didn't fulfil his part of the contract. So I left. I left to the Tsarista who gifted me my vision. The same person who made it possible to climb my way to the top from my clan of mere foxes that roamed Liyue,"

Xiao stayed silent and unmoving, his keen cat-like eyes watching the sun dip below the horizon.

"A contract was broken by Rex Lapis himself...towards his own adepti..." The Yaksha's tone changed, almost edging towards pity but not quite there yet.

I nodded, turning to train my eye to what he was looking at.

"Rex Lapis would never turn on another contract. Not with me. Come," Xiao motion before taking off through Wangshu Inn and out to a small cluster of black at the edge of Dihua Marsh.

I reluctantly followed. What have I been reduced to? A Harbinger taking orders from someone other than the Tsarista. Unheard of...yet. He used to be one of my own. One who has suffered eons of pain and has affiliations with an archon. We're more similar than I realised.

Why the time I caught up with Xiao, the Yaksha's hand was on his mask, ready to put it on, his muscles tensed like a cat ready to pounce.

I saw his eye flick towards my shadow before lunging into action. The shadows enveloping him as he plunged from the sky above the gathering of Abyss Mages.

Hydro Abyss Mages and a Cryo Abyss Mage. No problem for me.

I heard the hollow wails of the Abyss Mage as the Yaksha's spear broke through its shield, but Xiao kept attacking it. Showing no mercy yet his face was contorted with pain.

I sent a wave of Cryo towards the Hydro Abyss Mages who were inching towards Xiao's tired form, freezing them, creating large cracks through its elemental shield.

"Xiao. Get up. Your not going to die in the hands of an Abyss Mage," The male's eyes flickered with anger as the Yaksha Mask returned to his flank.

"Focus. On your own prey," He growled, flying through the body of the bloody mage, the pure wave of Anemo that he released brought the scent of blood towards my nose.

I hissed in pain as one of the Hydro Abyss Mages started dancing, summoning bubbles in order to regain its shield.

I closed my eyes, letting the elemental energy that was stored in my veins run free, unleashing several phantom-like spirits that resembled small foxes, jump around, freezing and clawing their way through my opponents.

I heard the heavy breaths of the Yaksha behind me. I turned around to face Xiao clutching his side where a large gnash has appeared. Likely due to a icicle nicking him as he fought the Abyss Mage.

"I'm fine. Let's return," He muttered weakly, stumbling slightly from the large loss of blood.

"No. You are clearly suffering from blood loss. I doubt that the majority of the blood or standing in is the Abyss Mage's," I nodded towards the large pool of red blood that he was standing in.