CHAPTER 10 | Raging Seas: Osial (Y/N)

"What did I do?" I demanded.

"Nothing significant. You just simply reminded me Of the reason why I should have stepped down from my position as an Archon," Zhongli replied calmly as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

I blinked several times, "That's even worse than what I thought you were going to say! Even though I no longer work under you and everyone knows how much I despise of you. I understand how important the role of being Liyue's Archon is to you! You've protected Liyue all these years and so many mortals and divine beasts alike have spilt their blood for you! And now your stepping down!"

"Calm down Y/N. Let the man speak," Signora placed an fair hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you La Signora. I am aware that you understand what 'Erosion' is? Good. I have already signed the contract months ago to hand over my gnosis and Erosion already naturally occurs. However, as I hand over my Gnosis, I have predicted that my mental state wil deteriorate faster than the rate it is currently happening," Zhongli explained, his gaze wandering aimlessly, "I could become a threat to Liyue itself if I still possess the power of an Archon,"

"I..." I dared not to meet his eyes.

"Y/N like you said before, I know you hate me for letting for family die and I have blamed myself for you leaving, however you still have Adeptus blood flowing in your veins and I believe you still wish to see Liyue safe...but I ask you today if you will let your hate against Rex Lapis go as he leaves this world?" Zhongli asked.

"W-what? But your Rex Lapis..."

"After I hand over my Gnosis, those who want to believe I am Rex Lapis can believe I am but as for me. I want to believe that I can start anew as the mortal, Zhongli," He said, his eyes holding the sadness accumulated from the several thousand years he has lived.

I wanted to speak but Zhongli opened his mouth to start another monologue.

"As for the contract we had between us. I did fulfil my part in using the best of my ability to keep Liyue's people from harm, including your family. But in the duration that I was finding Liyue Harbour, my watch could not extend to your family," Zhongli looked down sadly, "I'm sorry. I've caused you pain for all these years without being able to explain it to you,"

I felt my eyes prick with tears at the memories of returning to find the throats of my mortal family slit, blood pooling beneath them. The memories of my clothes soaked in blood of unsuspecting enemies as I vented my rage.

For the few seconds I completely forgot that we were inside the bank which held the connection between Snezhnaya and Liyue. I bowed my head as I fell on my knees,

"My Lord...forgive me...I-I didn't know," I stumbled over my words. I liked to think that I was strong. Strong towards anything but this matter. It felt as if someone unwrapped the dressing that covered a large wound. Painful yet the ability to let the skin breathe again is refreshing.

"Y/N," His tone was soft, "Stand up. I never believed that you were wronged but now that's cleared up between us-"

Zhongli's eyes narrowed as he tilted his nose towards the door, "The seawater..."

A shocked look of realisation crossed his face, "Osial is about to be awakened," Zhongli made a sour face, "Excuse me I need to go to the bathroom,"

"And he says that he wants to start anew. Can't even get rid of not liking seafood," I turned to Signora who was impatiently watching our reunion, "Do u know anything about this?"

"How should I know? I only just got into Liyue. Perhaps Tartaglia knows a thing or two about this Osial," She picked at her nails.

"Your not going to bother to find out?" I demanded.