3. Work

July 1942 - Age: 21

"Look if you just gave me a chance I could-" I begged,

"No, I'll have no woman in my bakery," denied the baker, "Now get out!" I sighed and stepped out onto the street. I hadn't been able to find a job in the month that Steve and Bucky were away. I managed to scrape enough together for the rent. But I didn't know how I was going to pay the next, I had no hope and I was sure I would lose the home that Steve and I had shared for our entire lives. 

As I walked down the street a tall, thin man joined me in walking. I glanced at him but he didn't look at me,

"Can I help you?" I asked him, stopping, and he did the same. 

"Are you Georgia Rogers?" asked the man. I nodded. His voice was calm, but I could tell he was anxious, "I've heard you've been looking for a job?" I nodded again, "Good, come with me," 

"What?" I asked. He walked away and I followed the man, even though I did not know where I was going or who he was. I didn't know why but I felt safe around this mystery man. He led me to the richer part of town. He opened the door of a black Cadillac and gestured for me to get in. I admired the car, "It can't get any worse," I sighed to myself and got into the back seat and he jumped into the driver's seat and turned the car on.

"Umm... where are we going, and who are you?" I asked.

"Oh, terribly sorry, I forgot to introduce myself, I am Edwin Jarvis. My employer wants to speak to you about working for him, and might I say, Miss Rogers, you sound exactly like I thought you would,"

"And how's that?" I eyed Mr Jarvis suspiciously. He thought for a moment before saying,

"Calm, independent, strong," he rattled off a few words, "Yes," he muttered to himself.

"And you sound nothing like I thought you would sound," I crossed my arms.

"And how do you think I sound Miss Rogers?" Mr Jarvis lifted his eyebrows and smiled.

"You sound..." I thought for a second, "Calm, but anxious at the same time if that makes sense Mr Jarvis," The man nodded before turning into a driveway with the biggest house I had ever seen in my life, even bigger than Buckys. Mr Jarvis stopped the car and got out. He opened the door for me and I got out.

"Who exactly is your boss, Mr Jarvis?" I asked breathlessly, looking up at the house.

"You will see, Miss Rogers," he smiled at me and showed me inside the house. We walked through corridor after corridor, room after room before we reached a large wooden door carved with berries and flowers. Mr Jarvis knocked and a voice came from within the great door,

"Yes?"

"I found Miss Rogers, sir, she's here to see you," Mr Jarvis told the door.

"Could have given me some warning Jarvis!" came the voice. Something moved around and we waited a few seconds before the door opened to reveal Mr Howard Stark!

"Miss Rogers! Come in!" he beckoned to the two of us and we went in. He sat down at his large desk and I sat opposite him. "Jarvis can you get us a drink, we'll have martinis," he put his feet up on the desk and smirked.