14. Experiment

??? - Age: ???

It had been two weeks since my mission and I hadn't been let out of my cell. Food appeared every day and that was all. I spent the time working out; push-ups, sit-ups, burpees, whatever I could do to pass the long hours.

On the exact 2-week mark I was let out of my cell, my brainwashing had worn off days ago so I was thrown in the torture machine and my words were said. Then I was led to another large room where men in white coats held clipboards and looked at me like I was a child, or like I was dinner.

"Red Widow, this is our newest invention to help you and the Winter Solider," a man explained. I studied the machine. It was a large circular tube that had wires attached to it. So many questions raced through my brain but the mask on my face prevented me from speaking. I nodded instead. "But before it can help you, we need to test it," I nodded again, the man sighed, "Permission to speak,"

"You need me to help test it?"

"Yes,"

"Whatever you want, sir," I continued to study the machine.

"Take off your mask," I complied, "Listen to him," he nodded to the scientist next to me,

"Stand here," he told me. I did so, then he placed a large breathing apparatus over my face. The sound of my breath coming in and out sounded mechanical and raspy. I was told to sit and then the great glass cylinder lowered over me.

It began to get cold.

Very very cold.

I couldn't feel my limbs and I couldn't see straight.

It was cold, so cold, I felt like my limbs would fall off.

Later

I woke up on a hospital bed. My normal black uniform had been changed to a simple white hospital gown. I tried to sit up but I couldn't move. It felt as if I had stepped into a snowstorm while naked, my bones felt frozen. After a few moments, I could look around the room and eventually I sat up. Immeadiatly, a scientist came into the room. He looked down at me with brown eyes. His eyes looked kind and calm even though he seemed to be on edge and neutral.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, I stared at him, "Permission to speak,"

"Cold," I told him, "And sore,"

"Yes, well, cyrofreeze will do that for you," I didn't know what cyrofreeze was, but I didn't ask, "Tell me where it hurts,"

"My... bones, how long have I been out?"

"Only a few hours," he told me as he wrote on his clipboard, "You passed out in the chamber  before the process started and we got you out," I looked around the room,

"Please, tell me the date?" I begged the scientist, he sighed loudly,

"It is the 4th of July 1948," I tried to calculate how long I had been with HYDRA but I couldn't remember past the Red Room.

"Thank you," I told him, even though the information gained me nothing. The scientist nodded, not taking his eyes off the clipboard in his hands. He took a few more notes and then left. Before anyone else came in I got off the bed and walked around the room, looking for anything to write with. Soon I found a lead pencil and held it tightly in my hand.

When the guards came into the room, I hid the pencil and was taken back to my room where my uniform was sitting. The door locked and I quickly got changed. Then I wrote down the date on the small table.

Months Later

The same thing happened every day; I would eat, get tortured, test the "cyrofreeze", wake up and get quizzed, ask for the date, back to my room, and make a mark on the table.