5. Love

November 1942 - Age: 22

I had been at the front, reporting to Stark about HYDRA, helping wounded soldiers and getting Colonel Phillips' lunch for an entire month. I had been stared at, mocked, jeered at and cat-called for an entire month. The only good thing about it was that sometimes I saw Bucky from across the room. I tried to talk to him but he seemed to be avoiding me. The only time I talked to him was when he wished me Happy Birthday on the 1st.

About half a month into my work the 107th, Bucky's division, was attacked and most were killed or taken prisoner I had a large knot in my stomach until it was announced that 'Captain America' was coming to the base. I awaited the arrival of my brother by working extra hard for both Stark and Phillips. 

When the day arrived a make-shift stage was set up and all the rest of the soldiers crowded around it. Women ran onto the stage and started dancing and singing, the men shouted and cheered before Steve came onto the stage and the girls ran off. Steve was wearing the most ridiculous get-up I had ever seen.

"How many of you ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw?" Steve asked the silent audience, "Ok. Uh... I need a volunteer,"

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" yelled someone, the crowd laughed, "Bring back the girls!" he continued, and the soldiers cheered.

"I think they only know the one song. But um... let me... I'll... I'll see what I can do," said Steve.

"You do that, sweetheart," yelled someone,

"Nice boots, Tinker Bell!" laughed someone else, I felt sorry for poor Steve,

"Come on, guys. We're all on the same team here," Steve sighed.

"Hey, Captain! Sign this!" yelled another soldier, he stood up and pulled down his pants, I averted my eyes and the soldiers started throwing things at Steve.

"Bring back the girls!" someone shouted. Steve walked off the stage and the girls came back on, raising a cheer from the crowd. I sighed and went to see if the Colonel wanted anything, then I saw Peggy, watching the stage from behind a truck. When she saw me she quickly hid. I walked calmly over to her and tapped her on the shoulder,

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, looking around,

"Officially I'm not here at all," Peggy smiled, "I actually don't know what I'm doing here, I shouldn't have come,"

"No, you shouldn't have," I agreed, "But you're here now, so go and talk to Steve,"

"Why?" Peggy asked,

"Are British girls a bit thick?" I asked Peggy she shook her head, "Peggy! He's sweet on you, you knucklehead!"

"He is?" Peggy asked.

"Yes!" I groaned, "Go now while they're all still captivated with the girls," Peggy nodded before moving toward the back of the stage. I sighed and made my way to Colonel Phillips's tent.

He was reading a report on HYDRA and gave me a quick look to copy down the important stuff and send it to Stark. I wrote it down and a few minutes later Steve and Peggy burst into the tent.

"Colonel Phillips," said Steve sternly,

"Well, if it isn't the Star-Spangled Man With A Plan. And what is your plan today?" asked the Colonel.

"I need the casualty list from Azzano," replied Steve, my throat tightened as I realised what he was talking about,

Bucky.