The Scribe (Jounou x Reader)

AN: In ancient Egypt, very few people were actually literate. Those who were were either royalty, priests/priestesses, or scribes. Those were literate were seen as of higher status because of how hard it was. There were over 5,000 hieroglyphs to memorize, after all. The celebration of Bast celebrated the goddess, joy, and pleasantries. Red wine was drunk and the party lasted several days.      

        Jounou sighed as he leaned against the palace. A large yawn made his jaw hurt and he rubbed his eyes. He hadn’t been getting enough sleep lately. He just couldn’t stop thinking about something or rather, someone. “Tired?” Jounou whirled around to see Mana, laughter clear in her eyes. He gave a halfhearted grunt and leaned back against the wall. The smile left Mana’s face, replaced with worry. “Are you alright?”

    “It’s nothing,” Jounou said, looking away. Mana arched an eyebrow.

    “If it was nothing you wouldn’t be this moody.” Jounou sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

    “Promise not to tell anyone?” Mana nodded.

    ‘Of course, Jou.” The head guard looked away.

    “It’s the new scribe.”

    “Who? Y/n?” He nodded. “What about her?” The head guard was silent and Mana’s eyes lit up in realization. “You like her!”

    “Shut up! Do you want the whole palace to hear you?” Jounou muttered, his cheeks burning. The priestess only grinned.

    “That’s adorable. Have you talked to her?” Jounou shook his head. “Why not?”

    “Because she’s Set’s personal scribe and I’m just the head guard. Besides, what would I even say?” Mana quirked her mouth in thought. Just then, Set walked by with you trailing closely behind.

    “Mana, do you know where Aadi is?” he asked, annoyed.

    “No, why?” Set muttered something under his breath.

    “The moron moved all of Y/n’s records and now we can’t find them.”

    “How many?” Set looked at you expectantly.

    “Twenty long scrolls,” you recounted instantly. Set nodded.

    “She has much more important things to do than rewrite all of them.” Mana shook her head.

    “I’m sorry I haven’t seen him.” Jounou spoke up.

    “I think I saw him leave for Ma’at’s temple not too long ago.” Set gave the blonde a cold look, but nodded in acknowledgement all the same.

        “Come along, Y/n. I have a few choice words for the scribe.” You bit back a smile and nodded a kind goodbye to the priestess and head guard before following your superior. Mana watched you go with a knowing smile smile on her face.

        “Did you notice it?” she asked. Jounou kept his eyes on your retreating form.

        “He called her by her name.” Mana nodded, looking back at you and Set.

        “Can you remember the last time he referred to his scribe by name in casual conversation?” Jounou shook his head.

        “No, he’s always just said my scribe.”

        “She must be really something if she can get Set to lower his walls.” THough you couldn’t be seen any more, Jounou kept looking at the door you had exited.